Stop Worrying About What People Think and Like Whatever You Want

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

I have a tendency to avoid trends despite my own feelings about them if I think it will make me come off a certain way.  If I find that a brand of shoes is popular among a certain demographic that I don’t identify with I may get rid of them entirely.  

Maybe it’s just because I try to stay on top of trends, but what I think is more likely is that it’s because I struggle with being self-conscious.  Sometimes I am not confident enough in myself to stand by what I like if it could cause people to question my taste.  This is what I think most people who are going for a particular “aesthetic” experience.  While there may be some upsides to this, for the most part, it’s bullshit.

If you enjoy a band but not the fandom that’s okay! You are your own person and not every single person that enjoys the same things are necessarily the same.  If you like the type of people that wear a brand you like but you don’t think you fit in with them that’s okay!  No one that truly knows you are going to assume you are different than before.

This applies to all material things that you enjoy.  The only things that will alter people’s opinions of you are actions you chose that are based on beliefs and morals.  If people are judging you based on these things then you shouldn’t be worried about their opinions to begin with.

I hope that this will convince you to embrace the things you enjoy and forget about your worries.  I too am going to try to let go of my concerns and just be myself.  Let’s do this together!

Former President of Her Campus at Oklahoma State University.  Laney is a senior Graphic Design major.  Laney is passionate about philanthropy, activism, education, and art.  When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus she is painting, playing video games, or volunteering.