The Six Best Things About Spring in Oklahoma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Sunday March 20 was the official first day of spring this year, and let me tell you I am excited! Spring is one of my favorite seasons! Here are six reasons why I love spring in Oklahoma!

1. Easter

We may have technically outgrown getting a photo taken with the Easter Bunny at the mall, but there are still lots of other things to do on Easter! You can get dressed up for Easter Sunday at church, or volunteer with an Easter Egg hunt in your neighborhood. If you don’t like the children centric part of the holiday, wear your cutest dress to Easter Brunch with your best gal pals!

2. Sun dresses

And speaking of your cutest dress…

Sun dresses were practically MADE for spring time! So dig those adorable flirty dresses out from underneath all of your leggings and winter coats and remember how much you love the feel of the wind on your legs! They’ve been caged up for months, let them see the world again! (P.s. This dress is an extra 20% off at Urban Outfitters! Just click the image to shop!)

3. Festivals

We all know that festivals like Coachella and SXSW draw huge crowds to their respective cities, but did you know Oklahoma has music festivals, too? Coming up this spring in April is the Norman Music Festival! If you’re looking for something sooner, and less typical, though, you should check out Lake McMurtry’s 4th Annual Spring Celebration or the Guthrie Ghost Walk! Oklahoma has tons of fun unique events during the spring; start with these and then branch out to others!

4. Sandals

I know, I know, this is the second piece of clothing I’ve mentioned on my list, but dressing for spring is one of the best things about it! Sandals can be the perfect addition to any outfit, whether its a mini skirt, or jeans or a dress. And with so many different styles to choose from, the shoe-world is your oyster! Slip on a pair of sandals next time you’re headed out and I promise you’ll feel a palpable spring in your step.

5. Flowers

Everyone knows that April showers bring May flowers! Flowers are gorgeous and beautiful and cute and intricate all at the same time. If you want to get your flower fix during the spring, check out the OSU Botanical Garden, right here in Stillwater. Or, you can visit the Myriad Botanical Gardens in OKC!

6. Picnics

And speaking of gardens and flowers, what better way to spend your time among the plants than with a picnic?! 

Whip up a few sandwiches and finger foods, grab your honey and a blanket and enjoy each other’s company and snacks to your heart’s content. Early spring is the best time for picnics, because the bugs can become plague-ish once it gets too hot. But you’ve got plenty of time before then!

There are hundreds of reasons why spring in Oklahoma is amazing, but these are just a few of my favorites. What are your favorite things to do during the spring time in Oklahoma?? Tweet us @hcoklahomastate and let us know! 

Hannah Littlefield was Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Oklahoma State University for 2 semesters, and she had an amazing team backing her up. During her time as CC, she also wrote for CollegeFashionista and her personal style blog, fefifofhannah.com. She will always remember the wonderful and unique team members she had at HCOS, and will cherish every memory.