Shoe N’ Tell Sara Burton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Sara Burton, a senior at Lincoln High School, recently moved to Stillwater. As I started to get to know more about her background I was truly touched by her heartfelt story.  She was originally from Joplin, Missouri where her home was hit by the disastrous tornado.  Many lives were taken that day, but luckily Sara lives to tell her story and is allowed a new beginning in her life. When I asked if she had lost anything valuable she stated, “No, all I really lost were most of my clothes.  I only have like 10 shirts and 3 pairs of jeans and no shoes to wear to work”.  The shoes she wears to work are her friend’s shoes that she says is a size too small.  Her story of losing material belongings in her life, but moving on and starting fresh really hit home for me.  Why is everyone so worried about what they look like or what car we drive when there are people out there who wonder if they will even get to eat the next day?  For Sara it is truly a blessing that she is able to pick up the pieces in her life and start a brand new one.  There is a quote that I read on a billboard that said, “Count your blessings, not your problems.”  I live by this quote every day now and will never forget it because it applies to everyone and we can all learn to just be thankful for what we have.  Moral of the story: Don’t take anything for granted and feel blessed and grateful for what you have because it is probably a lot more than what others may have.

Becca is an Oklahoma State University fashion journalism student. After she graduates in December, she wants to work for British Vogue. She believes that although a $1,200 sundress looks fantastic on the runway, there are less expensive alternatives to looking fabulous. Knowing how to shop on a budget is a vital skill for every college woman. She has recently completed a life-changing study abroad experience in London and a visual merchandising internship at White House Black Market in Dallas. Becca wants to show the fashion world that you can look beautiful without breaking the bank.