National Eating Disorders Week

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

By Julia White 

In the United States, 20 million women and 10 million men suffer from a clinically significant eating disorder at some time in their life, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, or an eating disorder not otherwise specified (EDNOS) (Wade, Keski-Rahkonen, & Hudson, 2011).

This past week, the week of February 23rd through March 1st, marked National Eating Disorders Awareness. Eating disorders are emotional and physical problems and they can have life-threating consequences. A few common eating disorders are anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder; but, there are others that are just as common but less known like night eating syndrome and rumination disorder. Eating disorders are very serious and dangerous and in some cases it’s difficult for a person to tell that someone they care about, or even themselves, is struggling with one or why the disorder has developed.

Eating disorders often arise from unhappiness with one’s body. In support of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, Her Campus launched the #LovingMe Project. Girls from all over Facebooked, Instagrammed, and Tweeted photos that represented something they loved about themselves unrelated to physical appearance. Responses included things like, “I love that I’m independent.” and “I love my creativity!” #LovingMe gave girls the opportunity to be positive, honest, loving, and uplifting.

There are other ways to get involved and reach out to those coping with eating disorders year round. Get educated on the subject, join an advocacy program, and participate in awareness walks and 5ks, but most of all reach out to those you love. Love them, support them, and lift them up. And always remember that there is no other you. You are beautiful, no matter what.