This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

In my life I’ve always lived with the motto, no regrets. But, what about the relationships you look back on and think what the heck was I thinking? Most of us have been there at some point, some cases are more extreme than others. After dating a couple of real grade A losers, I have to sit back and think that I must have learned something from those relationships. Here’s a few hard lessons I think I have learned.

Listen to my friends: When my friends would tell me that he wasn’t a good guy or that they saw him around with other girls, I didn’t listen. I chose instead, to make excuses. And in reality they were telling the truth.

Take it slow: I know that we are in a fast paced world, but it is OK to keep your life somewhat private in the beginning. I have learned that telling someone everything early is probably only going to get you burned. You’re just giving them ammunition to use against you later on in life.

Don’t take things to seriously: I used to make a big deal out of every little thing. I would pick fights just to pick fights. In the end that got me nowhere.  We both just began resenting eachother and in the long run the relationship ended.

After talking to a few of my friends about what they learned from their past relationships this is what they said.

Don’t lower your standards : We all want to make our guy happy, but that doesn’t mean dropping our morals or goals for them.

Don’t forget about your friends: A lot of the time girls get so wrapped up in the relationship they tend to forget about the friends. Just remember your friends were there for them before this guy came along. Friends are forever, some guys are just for now.

Be honest with yourself: If you aren’t feeling it end it sooner, rather than later. Ending things is scary and hard, but in the end it is best. No matter the reason, such as you think you are helping, you think you will hurt them too much…it will be better for both parties to end it.

Every relationship is going to have its ups… and downs. Growing up many girls are going to go through numerous breakups before the “one.” Each breakup and past relationship teaches us something that we can use in the future to become better for the next relationship. My mom has always taught me to find the silver lining. So, from now on instead of looking at the past as mistakes look at them as opportunities to learn what not to do in the future. Each bad relationship gets you closer to the right one.