Jonathan Sutton: O’Colly’s Biggest Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Deadlines, late nights and Red Bull are an everyday part of Jonathan Sutton’s life. As editor of The Daily O’Collegian at Oklahoma State University, Jonathon has a constant busy schedule. 

Sutton, a senior multimedia journalism student, began working at The Daily O’Collegian during his freshman year as a features and news reporter. He has continued reporting at the paper since then. He has worked as an opinion columnist, photographer, copy chief and currently holds the position of editor-in-chief.

Sutton has loved working in both the writing and editing aspects of The Daily O’Collegian.

“I definitely love writing more,” Sutton says.  “Editing is a lot of fun though because you are able to help younger writers get better. It is also a great feeling to see a finished product in a newsstand every morning. But, it all starts with writing stories.”

Sutton says that running a newspaper and staff can be stressful, but having a great staff makes it easier to put out a newspaper every day.  When it comes down to the wire, he says that handling everything is all about surrounding himself with people he can rely on and trust to do their jobs well.

Sutton has a love for hard-hitting news coverage that tries to uncover problems within the university. He says that keeping an eye on what’s happening in the community is the newspaper’s most important job, and he loves to be a part of that.

The O’Colly has the best resources to report on news every day and keep students, faculty and staff informed,” Sutton says. “To me, The O’Colly is and always will be the No. 1 source for OSU news.”

Sutton has gained more than just editing and writing experience from working at The Daily O’Collegian.

“Working at The O’Colly gives all of us a unique opportunity to be deeply involved in what’s happening in the OSU and Stillwater communities,” Sutton says. “I think it’s easy for college students to get in to the habit of sitting in their comfort zone and never experiencing something different. It’s impossible to do that and do a good job working at the newspaper. Another thing is the camaraderie in the newsroom. I’ve met so many great people while working here, and the atmosphere in a newsroom is something you can’t get anywhere else.”

Sutton would like to pursue journalism after graduating from OSU. His dream job would be writing for his favorite newspaper, The New York Times. He would also like to work for a magazine, like Esquire, in the future.

Sutton is excited to see the legacy he leaves behind at the The Daily O’Collegian, and he has high hopes for the future of the newspaper.

“The O’Colly was considered one of the best college newspapers in the country, and we are constantly striving to get back to that national recognition,” Sutton says. “We’re not there yet, but I’ll always be proud to tell people I was editor-in-chief of The O’Colly.”

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.