It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Holiday Movies and Cheer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

It’s the time to cuddle up, grab a blanket, drink hot chocolate by the fireside, and put in your favorite Holiday movie. ABC Family runs a program called “The 25 Days of Christmas”, running Holiday movies every night from December 1st through December 25th.You can view the schedule online at http://abcfamily.go.com/specials/25-days-christmas/schedule. You can also rent or buy the movie if you want, as long as you know what to get. Still lost on the perfect movie for you this Holiday season? Here is a list of my favorites, which could help guide you in your search for your favorites.

1.  White Christmas (1954): This one is my absolute favorite. There is nothing better than a little Bing Crosby and “snow, snow, snow, snow!” Sing along with the whole gang and follow them to Vermont and get in the Holiday spirit!

2.  Elf (2003): Get in the mood to laugh as Will Ferrell does what he does best: act ridiculous. After discovering he is not actually an elf, Buddy travels to New York to find his real father, and to stir up trouble and laughs along the way!

3.  Jingle All the Way (1996): Arnold Schwarzenegger at his finest! As a busy father, he is having difficulty finding time to spend with his family and continues to let them down. But this time, he will not let his son down, and will get the latest action figure no matter what.

4.  The Holiday (2006): A typical romantic comedy, with some unexpected love matches. Two single girls, Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet, switch places to get out of their unhappy lives, to find that they were only looking for happiness in all the wrong places.

5.  Miracle on 34th Street (1947) (1994): A classic, remade with the girl from Matilda, tells a heartwarming story about Kris Kringle. He claims to be Santa Clause but is sent to an insane asylum, but a young lawyer takes his case to set him free before Christmas.

6.  Home Alone (1990), Home Alone 2 (1992): Macaulay Culkin stars in both, as the family outcast who stays home all by himself. He sees some burglars and must stop them all on his own in a creative, feel-good film.

7.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000): This movie is great simply because of Jim Carey’s crazy acting! The Dr. Seuss story brought to life with the same outrageous decorations and scenery, and it has definitely become a family favorite!

8.  A Christmas Story (1983): Not one Christmas is complete without watching this classic. It provide comical relief and life lessons, such as don’t lick a frozen pole, or don’t ask for a BB gun for Christmas. 

Becca is an Oklahoma State University fashion journalism student. After she graduates in December, she wants to work for British Vogue. She believes that although a $1,200 sundress looks fantastic on the runway, there are less expensive alternatives to looking fabulous. Knowing how to shop on a budget is a vital skill for every college woman. She has recently completed a life-changing study abroad experience in London and a visual merchandising internship at White House Black Market in Dallas. Becca wants to show the fashion world that you can look beautiful without breaking the bank.