How to get the job when you look young

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

I am often told I don’t look 22. And this has been happening since I was 16 and started to drive. My parents’ friends would say, “you can’t be old enough to drive, you look 12.” It was all done in friendly teasing, but it’s something I think about often. I am about to graduate college and I am worried that my young appearance will hinder me from getting a job.       

Recently, I have had a professor tell me I need to be tanner, wear more make-up and even wear my glasses to look older. The professor knows I am about to start job-searching and doesn’t want my young-face to be a first impression that is considered over my skills. But, according to the HR department on Monster.com most employers will look over your young face if your expertise shines through. Here are some tips on how to make sure this happens

1. The article on monster.com suggests that if an employer questions your age, you should simply reply with your experience, which in itself will tell your age.

1. When going to an interview or first day of work, dress your age. Wearing a nice black skirt with an oxford and blazer will help you look older, even though you will have to forfeit some of your style. Although, I am a fan of the natural look, more make up can help you. Stick with neutral colors, like brown or rose eye shadow, with a neutral toned lipstick. If you do your make-up like you are in college or what’s trendy, you will look young. Even though sparkly eye shadow is in, buy some eye shadow without. Fluffing up your hair can help. Even though straight, sleek and long is pretty, it can make you look younger.

1. At your interview, handle it with grace like any woman with years of wisdom behind her would. According to Monster.com, do not lie or over-exaggerated your skills. Be creditable and honest about what skills you have and don’t have. You need to highlight your skills, and reply with a willingness to learn when a skill is asked that you do not have. Being honest can show years of wisdom that will help your young looking face.

4.   Be able to relate to people who are not your age. If you are like me and you are just about to graduate college and get an entry-level job, you will most likely be the youngest person at the office. Don’t flock to other young co-workers even though this is only natural.      Find common interests with people of all ages in your office, this will help your creditably that you are old enough to be in the office, and it will help your likability in the office overall, making work more pleasant atmosphere.

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.