How To Establish Your Personal Brand In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Today I was on Twitter and noticed a hyperlink one of my followers posted. I immediately clicked on the link and wondered how many students knew about branding themselves in college. For those who don’t, let me enlighten you. Of course, I put my on spin on it.

A personal brand is like a handshake. It’s that perception that you give others when you first meet them and that will always stay with them. It can make or break you.

Many people think branding is something that should be done when starting a career, but college is the perfect time to start, according to PRdaily.com.

1.    Create a website

A website has no limitations and can allow you to express yourself in a way that a one-page resume cant. PR daily recommends a website by the name of Wix, I’m sure there are numerous FREE websites available for steps on how to start. Don’t hesitate to research and see which fits you best.

Don’t forget to purchase a domain name as well. It should represent you and your brand.

2.    Take professional pictures

Many of us use our cellphones to make profile pictures on Twitter and Facebook. However, employers say its better to have no picture at all.  Take down those pictures of you doing body shots on a Thursday night and put your professional pictures to use.

Professional pictures have many uses: websites, business cards and etc.…

3.    Invest in eye-catching business cards

Have your business cards with you at all times. You never know when you might need them.

Check with your career services department. They usually have a number of them that you can buy for an inexpensive amount. If you want to go above and beyond, research companies who are known for their not so typical designs.

4.    Build and keep your reputation

Creating and maintaining your reputation is like building credit or maintaining a marriage. You weren’t born with it, but you have to work at it.

Always put your all into anything you do. Someone is always watching and will notice.

DON’T FORGET to network. Everyone has heard this statement. It’s not about what you know, but whomyou know.

5.     Start Now

Just imagine how others will react to you in the workforce having all of these things. It will take time, but don’t get down on yourself. Start now!

Becca is an Oklahoma State University fashion journalism student. After she graduates in December, she wants to work for British Vogue. She believes that although a $1,200 sundress looks fantastic on the runway, there are less expensive alternatives to looking fabulous. Knowing how to shop on a budget is a vital skill for every college woman. She has recently completed a life-changing study abroad experience in London and a visual merchandising internship at White House Black Market in Dallas. Becca wants to show the fashion world that you can look beautiful without breaking the bank.