Happy and Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

In today’s society, it seems that everyone is placing such high importance on losing weight and being the perfect size. As women enter college, become independent and make their own decisions, they tend to make unhealthy choices for the short term benefits of looking good, such as empty calories or only one Chick-Fil-Ameal a day. I have heard girls say, “I’m going to skip dinner and save the calories so that I can go out and drink tonight” or say, “I don’t need breakfast or lunch; I’ll just have a really big dinner”. Experts agree these choices can be dangerous to your health.

Low Calorie Diets: Safe or Silly?
Each month the magazine stands are promoting the latest quick fix for weight loss.  These “miracle” diets are often a combination of eliminating one or more food groups, and eating more of another.  And while positive results seem immediate, too often results are short term and just as quickly the original weight returns, and often with more weight.  It has been proven that with an unbalanced diet, your body will adjust and be trained to store fat and lower your metabolism in order to function without
proper nutrition, resulting in difficulty to maintain healthy weight or lose excess weight. Side effects include fatigue, constipation and nausea. It is very difficult, if at all possible, for low calorie diets to provide all essential nutrients, especially with unvaried diets, which are common in college students with limited meal choices, as stated by WebMD. Therefore, it is very important for young women, especially in college, to eat the proper amount of food and calories everyday, including healthy choices. So next time you think you’re too busy for lunch at the UToo, think again.

Be Active but Forget About the Scale.
Secondly, women often place too much importance on just how much they weigh.  It is better to feel healthy and energized than worry about a silly number on a scale. By eating right and exercising regularly, you will feel ready to take on the world, independent of your weight and that late afternoon coffee. Don’t like running or traditional exercise? Luckily, our very own Colvin Center has a solution. With the FIT First program, anyone with a student ID can enjoy classes like Yoga, Pump & Tone, Zumba, Pilates, Boot Camp, Cardio Kickboxing, and more! For more information, you can visit the Colvin or go online to: http://campusrec.okstate.edu/sites/default/files/documents/fitfirst/11/Fall%20Schedule.pdfand you can view the Fall 2011 class schedule. It takes approximately two whole minutes to write your name down on two pieces of paper and for them to laminate your FIT First Pass.  The classes are fun and you meet people just like you!

Now that you know the most common unhealthy choices, you can make the right decisions to combat them. Don’t concern yourself with anyone else’s good or bad habits, or good or bad bodies. Focus on you and being happy in your body. You will be healthier already! 

Becca is an Oklahoma State University fashion journalism student. After she graduates in December, she wants to work for British Vogue. She believes that although a $1,200 sundress looks fantastic on the runway, there are less expensive alternatives to looking fabulous. Knowing how to shop on a budget is a vital skill for every college woman. She has recently completed a life-changing study abroad experience in London and a visual merchandising internship at White House Black Market in Dallas. Becca wants to show the fashion world that you can look beautiful without breaking the bank.