Embracing the Best Homecoming in the Nation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Oklahoma State University’s campus is always full of enthusiasm. But, once a year orange spirit flows through the school as fluidly as the water running through the orange fountain in front of Edmon Low Library. 

It’s no secret that OSU has one of the most elaborate homecoming celebrations in the nation. But, what is it that makes this tradition so special? 

More than 80,000 people crowd the streets of Stillwater annually to take part in the events of homecoming week. Some of the events are the Chili Cook Off, the Hester Street Painting and the Sea of Orange Parade.

“Students really come together during homecoming week,” Will Carr, a sophomore student says. “The sense of togetherness and camaraderie reminds everyone on campus what a great place OSU is.”

The theme of this year’s homecoming is, “The Life, The Legend, The Legacy.” The signs on Library Lawn and other unique decorations, portrays the theme, which helps students come together and get involved in the homecoming celebration.

“Greek organizations and Hall Government put a massive amount of work into pomping for homecoming,” Christine Walsh says, the Village C, D and CASNR Hall Government secretary. “The finished products are really amazing though because pomping is something unique that not every school does.”

The OSU Alumni Association helps promote orange spirit on campus through reminders, such as the Orange Fountain and having students sign a big thank you sign for alumni. During homecoming weekend, Theta Pond will also be decorated with orange stringed lights to display America’s brightest orange.

“The Orange Fountain is a great reminder of how much spirit the school has,” Freshman Robin Sevedge says. “Everyone sees it, so it’s a great way to show our pride.”

A full list of homecoming events and information about the history of OSU’s homecoming traditions can be found on http://orangeconnection.org/homecoming.  

I'm a sophomore at Oklahoma State University, and I'm studying multimedia journalism. I'm from Carrollton, Texas. After graduating, I want to move to New York and hopefully work for a magazine.