Dating a Cheater: The Harsh Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Most girls know that bubbly feeling she gets when her soul mate makes her feel like the most wonderful girl in the world. His every word puts a smile on your face, and every minute without him seems like eternity. You are pretty much set that this is the guy you want to spend the rest of your life with. Every day feels like the first time you met, and you can’t stand to be apart from him. He calls you his favorite girl, and everyone knows that’s your boy. In your mind there is no better relationship. 

But, out of nowhere things get rocky and your heart shatters into a million pieces. Questions start going through your head like, is it me? Am I not good enough anymore? What can I do to make it right?
We’ve all been here, including me. I was focusing more on school, and he didn’t feel that he was getting the attention he deserved. We weren’t talking on the phone like we used to, then our late night cuddle sessions were gone.

I heard rumors there were possibly another girl, but I believed that no girl could ever take my place. He wouldn’t throw away eight months of happiness on some sideline girl, so I felt that I had nothing to worry about.

Two months passed and we were better than ever, so we finally felt that it was time to meet the parents. My parents welcomed him with open arms, but my sister didn’t quite feel the same. For as long as we had been dating, she knew that something about him wasn’t right. When I asked why, she simply told me that she knew he has been messing around with another girl at her school for about two months now. Hearing her say that should have been all the proof that I needed, but something in my heart couldn’t believe it. The girl she was referring to had been an acquaintance of mine for a long time. Even though we weren’t the best of friends, she knew that he was mine.

I needed the truth. Even though I loved my boyfriend with all my heart, I wanted answers…from her. I set up a time to meet with her. Before I could even ask a question, she started pulling out pictures, showing me old messages and… an ultrasound of her soon-to-be baby boy.

Nothing seemed real anymore and being hurt was an understatement. How could he give her everything and more? I felt it all belonged to me. She told me she knew nothing about me, and they were nothing more than friends with benefits. All the proof I needed was right in front of me, and there was nothing more to say. My first thought was to stay with him and work it out because we always said that we were in this together, but the person I grew to love with every ounce in me was nothing but a liar and a sneak. Breaking up with him was my only option, but the thought of his face disgusted me. When I returned to school, I wrote a letter saying that I couldn’t do this anymore, and we were over for good.

To this very day he doesn’t know what sparked my reason for breaking up with him, but I’m pretty sure he has an idea. He has expressed to me many times things just aren’t the same without me, and even though my heart aches to this day over what I discovered, getting back with him would never be the same. Staying with him may have made us look perfect on the outside, but being in love with his lies is something that I just couldn’t do.

True and pure love only exists if honesty and trust is at the forefront of every relationship. If those two vital components aren’t there, then that isn’t the relationship you need to be in. A boy will always let a good thing pass him by with the thought that he can find something better. But, a man will cherish what he has. Ladies, find a man who wants you and only you, not a boy who wants to have his cake and eat it, too.

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.