Birth Control Myths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Ladies we all have questioned the topic of birth control and if birth control was a good pick for us. It is a great way to prevent pregnancy and it also provides great assistance when it is that time of the month. Why
wouldn’t we get on birth control? Many of us want to, but we can’t seem to get past all the rumors that go along with it. We have heard it all: they make you fat, you turn crazy, and you’re overly emotional. When it comes to birth control, we hear it all. So what are the top birth control myths and is it a myth or reality?

BC Myth #1– “The pill makes you fat”. Not necessarily. Truth is, while weight gain was a side effect of the older higher dose pills, the birth control pills available today does not necessarily cause weight gain.

BC Myth #2– “The pill protects us from STD’s including HIV”. Myth. The pill does NOT protect you or your mate from STD’s from HIV. The only way to reduce the risk of HIV or other STD’s is by using barrier contraception such as condoms, consistently and correctly.

BC Myth #3– “If I am on the pill, I cannot possibly get pregnant”. Myth. Unfortunately the pill is not entirely foolproof. The stated effectiveness of birth control pills is 96-99 percent ONLY if you take it as directed.

BC Myth #4– “The pill can cause cancer”. Myth. The pill actually reduces incidence of cancer of the ovaries and cancer of the endometrium (the lining of the uterus).

BC Myth #5– “Birth control pills will make my period heavier”. Myth. In fact, the reverse is true. Most women on the pill experience a lower degree of menstrual cramps, menstrual pain, and PMS symptoms.

BC Myth #6– “You should not take birth control pills continuously”. Myth. Taking a break can help women in certain situations, such as those who are having breakthrough bleeding, and stopping pills for four to five days will get you back on track. Beyond that, women who are taking traditional birth control pills on a cyclic basis don’t need to take a break from pills unless they want to conceive.

BC Myth #7– “Birth control pills are all the same”. Myth. Not all birth control pills contain the same types of hormones. Combination birth control pills contain 2 types of hormones: estrogen and progestin. Most of the currently available birth control pills contain the same estrogen, ethinyl estradiol, but differ in the type of progestin.

BC Myth #8– “I don’t need to take the pill at the same time each day’. Myth. Combination pills, those containing the hormones estrogen and progestin, are more than 99 percent effective, when taken correctly. This means at the same time every day.

BC Myth #9– “Before I get pregnant, I need to wait to flush the hormones from the pill out of my system”. Myth. You can start trying to become pregnant immediately after you stop taking the pill, but you should talk to your healthcare professional about the steps you should take to ensure a healthy pregnancy.

BC Myth #10– “The only use for the pill is as contraception”. Myth. While the pill may help in preventing pregnancy, it can also provide some health benefits. Some include: More regular periods, stop ovulation pains, reduce menstrual cramps, lower the risk of anemia, and minimize PMDD symptoms.

So after seeing theses myths and truth behind them, do you feel more aware? Deciding to get on the pill or any other type of birth control is a very major decision and should be decided upon only after talking to your healthcare professional so you know exactly what is to be expected. While the myths may be deceiving it never hurts to be informed, because while condoms seem like the perfect form of contraception, you never know what can happen. So be informed and make smart decisions.

www.thepill.com/aboutbirth-myths
www.everydayhealth.com/sexual-health/birth-control/myths-about-birth-con…
www.livestrong.com/article/13899-birth-control-myths/ (# 

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.