This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

High school may have felt challenging at times, but nothing prepares you for the independence that comes with college life. Here are seven things you didn’t learn in high school that become essential to living on your own in college.

1. Going to the doctor by yourself. Getting an injury in college can be scary. Most students are hours away from home and aren’t used to going to the hospital themselves. For freshmen who are now responsible for filling out their own paperwork, a doctor’s visit can be stressful. Just remember, you can still call home if you need information. You just need to worry about the basics. Have your social security number and driver’s license, and you’ll find that the trip isn’t as hard as it seems.

2. Doing your own laundry. For a lot of students high school was a time when parents did laundry. Now that you’re in charge of washing your own clothes, there are a few things that’ll make the chore less complicated. First, pick a time when you won’t feel rushed and there won’t be a hundred other people vying for the same machine. Second, sort your clothes before you make the trek downstairs. You might find that you can hold off on a load or two and not carry it all down at once. Last, don’t forget about your machine. When the timer goes off be ready to move your stuff so the next person can use the washer or dryer.

3. Cooking using only a microwave. Some students have never cooked before, and for some they’ve only ever cooked real meals. In college not every living space has a stove, so microwaves become essential to eating hot food. Microwavable food and no-bake treats are a staple in any college diet. Dishes like microwavable meatloaf and microwave baked potatoes allow students to eat real food without heavy duty cooking equipment.

4. Surviving with community bathrooms. For some on campus residents, college is the first time they’ve shared a room or a bathroom with anyone. Most people will tell you to always wear flip-flops in the shower and not to go to the bathroom without something on your feet. Some less obvious things are not relying only on hand sanitizer, washing your hands in the sink is still the best way to make sure your hands are clean. Find a time to shower that’s not only convenient for you but also ensures that not everyone else is using the shower too. You don’t want to be late to class because you waited to shower and no stalls were available.

5. Living with a roommate. For students sharing a room for the first time, whether it’s a stranger or a friend from home, the transition to a shared living space can be difficult. Not all roommates are best friends and sometimes it can get stressful dealing with each other’s habits. Just remember, it’s just as new for them, and often times what you’re disagreeing on could be easily solved with communication. Unless your roommate is doing something illegal or making your life especially difficult, it’s best to just be honest with her and give each other the benefit of the doubt.

6. Balancing money. A lot of college students held jobs in high school. However, college is a whole new world of expenses and your parents aren’t here to help you pay attention to your money habits. It seems easy to just hand over your student ID, but remember you’re still paying for everything you buy, and meal plans do run out. Pay attention to your receipts, and make sure to read the meal plan balance on the bottom of them.

7. Car maintenance. For those students with vehicles on campus, car troubles are a common problem. Some people find that after sitting in the parking lot for a month their car won’t start. While you aren’t expected to understand everything about how your car works, it’s important to learn a few things. Keeping up with oil change and inspection dates will save a lot of trouble down the line. Also keep in mind that if you’re on campus and locked out of your car or in need of a jumpstart, campus police have a number you can call and they can unlock your car or start it for you.

Strategic Communications major and English minor at Oklahoma State University. Campus Correspondent for the Oklahoma State chapter.