5 Awesome Hispanic Women for Hispanic Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Hispanic Heritage Month is a time for people with Hispanic ancestry to celebrate their cultures and accomplishments, and what better way to wrap up the month of celebration than to recognize some Hispanic women making their mark in the world? Here are 5 awesome Hispanic women to know and love, if you don’t already!

Justice Sonia Sotamayor

Justice Sonia Sotamayor was appointed and confirmed to be a member of the Supreme Court by President Barack Obama in 2009, making her the first person of Hispanic descent to hold the office of Supreme Court Justice. She since has written 4 books about her life, in 2013 “My Beloved Life”, in 2017 “The Beloved World of Sonia Sotamayor, in 2018 “Turning Pages: My Life Story”, and most recently in 2019 “Just Ask! Be Different, Be Brave, Be You”. Justice Sotamayor has been an amazing representative of the Hispanic community, as well as an outstanding judge and person. 

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Representative Ocasio-Cortez, often referred to as AOC, was elected New York’s District 14 Representative for the U.S. House of Representatives. She since has incited criticism from many people in Republican leadership for her outspoken opinions and strong will to accomplish what she believes needs to be done. AOC’s strength and determination to make the U.S. a better place, more welcoming and helpful for everyone here, has proven her to be a female leader with Hispanic heritage that we all need. 

Gina Rodriguez

Gina is an actress, known mostly for her role as Jane in Jane the Virgin. However, she is also a strong advocate for more diversity in films and television, and loves being a leader. As she told Latina magazine in 2016, “A strong leader is one who creates other leaders. So if I am encouraging young girls to take control of their lives, to spread kindness, then I am doing the job God put me here to do”.

Diane Guerrero

Diane Guerrero is an actress who is mainly known for her roles in Jane the Virgin and Orange is the New Black. She is a strong supporter of immigration reform in the U.S. and has a book called “In the Country We Love: My Family Divided”, which is about her life and how it changed after both her parents were detained and deported to Columbia when she was 14.

Ellen Ochoa

Ellen became the world’s first female Hispanic astronaut in 1991, where she went on to do a total of four space flights. Later in life, she became the first Hispanic director of Johnson Space Center in 2013. She has worked her whole life to continue breaking barriers for women in science and leadership roles.

No matter what trials these women have been through, they have persevered to become amazing people and do extraordinary things. Through their accomplishments, they work to expand oppurtunities for the women that come after them, and also never forget who they are and where they come from. As Hispanic Heritage Month comes to a close, we recognize and honor these women and all else who strive to make the world a better place. ¡Gracias chicas!

Sterling Zavala is President of the Her Campus chapter at Oklahoma State University. She is an avid reader, YouTube watcher, and talker, as well as a senior receiving a bachelor's degree in both Political Science and Spanish.
Former President of Her Campus at Oklahoma State University.  Laney is a senior Graphic Design major.  Laney is passionate about philanthropy, activism, education, and art.  When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus she is painting, playing video games, or volunteering.