This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The very first album I owned on vinyl was “Thriller” by Michael Jackson. It was a gift from my aunt, who knew that I loved Jackson’s music growing up. I didn’t have a record player or really know how vinyl worked, but I still felt pretty excited. Her copy is especially unique because she purchased it while living in Mexico as a foreign exchange student. The back cover lists each song and its Spanish translation, and the record sleeve features the lyrics in Spanish. It is still one of the coolest albums I own today.

A few years and several records later, I got my own turntable. Like my aunt, my other relatives started passing their records on to me as I got older and into more music. I got ahold of my grandma’s copy of “Surfin’ U.S.A.” by The Beach Boys and my dad’s copy of “The Dark Side Of The Moon” by Pink Floyd. At first, I kept them in my room and put some on display, but my small stack piled up quickly. My dad sold most of his collection years ago, but he passed on his most treasured albums to me. Notably, he gave me several records by The Doors, which is one of our favorite bands. It was only a matter of time until I wanted a turntable because I already owned such great albums. I would say, once I started spinning and buying my own records, my collection had begun.

These stories about my own record collection are ultimately the reasons why I collect vinyl. I could go on about the technology of vinyl and how it enhances the sound and listening experience. While this is true, I think the main reason most collectors hang on to their records these days is because they carry so much sentimental value. When I flip through my own collection, each album is connected to a person, place, or memory. My roommate bought me “Ride The Lightning” by Metallica because we first met at their concert. I’ll never forget when Lana Del Rey’s “Blue Banisters” was released, and my friend and I spent a day going to our favorite record store to buy it. Even when I stream these albums on Spotify, the memories attached to them are always there. Owning records has further connected me and my life to the music I already love.

There are several other (less sappy) reasons why I collect vinyl. I have a huge appreciation for album art and covers because it always builds my interpretation of the music. It is especially exciting to see the art, photos, and credits included on the inside and back covers of a record. Many, both vintage and new, also include posters and other interesting merchandise. For example, Led Zeppelin’s first self-titled record came with a replica 1969 season pass to the Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park, NY (which the band performed). Another memorable record addition is in my copy of Father John Misty’s “I Love You, Honeybear,” which includes a witty pamphlet titled “Exercises for Listening.” A record’s album art is fun to look at and also makes great decor.

Another reason I love collecting vinyl is looking at an album’s credits. I own “A Night At The Opera” by Queen, which is quite a musically complex album. However, its inside cover lists a breakdown of each song, including which bandmate wrote it, sang on it, and who played what instruments on it. Album credits give so much insight into an artist/band’s creative process. It is also interesting to read album credits that have a lot of collaborations/features. For example, Tyler, The Creator’s “IGOR” credits Pharrell, Kanye West, Cee Lo Green, and more; there were several credits that surprised me and shaped the way I listen to this album now.

I have to admit, I also love to shop for records, because you never know what you might find. Like any collection, it is all about the hunt; I prefer to look for vinyl in stores, even though almost any record can be purchased online today. Record stores stock special editions, special pressings, vinyl exclusives, and other unique records beyond studio albums. I also love live albums, especially from recorded concerts because they are so exciting to listen to.

I never anticipated the value my records hold to me, and how they connect to people and places in my life. Over the few years I have been collecting, I have bonded so deeply with family and friends over music and vinyl. I am a huge music lover through and through, and that is why I collect records on vinyl.

Lizzi is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. She is from Pittsburgh, PA and enjoys listening to music, thrifting, exercising, collecting vinyl, playing guitar and learning new instruments.