This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Would some say I watch the same shows as a middle-aged woman who is married with 3 kids? Sure (sorry, mom)! But let me let you all in on a secret that is show shaming, and I will not stand for it! I love reality shows! One, it makes me feel like I’m in some serious mindless drama, which I do love a good stupid drama moment, and I feel like these are lives I will never live, which interests me more. With that being said, I think I should expose whoever may be reading this to the best there is when it comes to trashy reality tv. The more trashy, the more I am here for it, the more hair pulls, the more backstabs, and of course, the love triangles. 

Vanderpump rules

Probably one of my first ever reality shows I got into. It was 2013, I had bad hair and the worst fashion sense a 12-year-old could have. But after watching real housewives with my mom an ad for “Vanderpump Rules” came on. I looked it up later and have watched it ever since. They were waitresses and bartenders trying to make it big, now they are a little washed up/parents with like not real jobs. But still an original, iconic reality show.

Hulu has all episodes so does amazon (not prime)

Love Island (USA and UK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7f6Sb0hpo

By far, “Love Island”, I feel, is like the only show that has people my age watching it primarily out of all these shows. For the longest time, I was a “Love Island UK” stan all the way. I felt like you just didn’t get that connection with the USA version. But I am ok with saying I am wrong. This year’s “Love Island UK” was boring and predictable. But let me tell you “Love Island USA” rides the wave that is drama. It premiered about a month ago, and you can get most episodes on Youtube, so please catch up! It is so worth it, and it is so accessible. The premise is simple, put a bunch of hot young people in swimsuits tell them to couple up, or you have to go home. Add in challenges, new people and island dumps every so often and sit back. 

Hulu has “Love Island UK” and Youtube and NBC on cable has “Love Island USA.”

Below Deck 

Wow, every season is so good. I have been bingeing this when I do like mindless homework or take a break. You know, when you are just highlighting or rewriting notes, put this on and just rewrite those notes. Drama is at every corner!

Here is the lowdown: a crew of stewardesses and deckhands along with a captain who charter guests on a superyacht. They work 24hr shifts and don’t wear shoes. Then between guests, the party and make bad decisions while getting thousands of dollars in tips every charter. “Below Deck Med” and “Below Deck” are both good, so either is fine.

Some episodes (usually 1st of the season) are on Youtube. The rest are on cable or on-demand. 

Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and New Jersey 

The “Real Housewives” franchise really teleports you to another world! A world I will never be in seeing that I don’t think I’ll marry a multi-millionaire who has ties with wealthy women on television. But still, a girl can dream! The idea of it can’t really be explained except that you get to peek into the lives of the rich and famous, like a constant dramatic vlog. I love Dolores, so I watch NJ, but also I love everyone on BH, so it will always be my #1.

Most RH seasons are on Hulu

Vanderpump Rules

Probably one of my first ever reality shows I got into. It was 2013, I had bad hair and the worst fashion sense a 12-year-old could have. But after watching real housewives with my mom, an ad for “Vanderpump Rules” came on. I looked it up later and have watched it ever since. They were waitresses and bartenders trying to make it big, now they are a little washed up/parents without real jobs. But still an original, iconic reality show.

Hulu has all episodes so does Amazon (not prime)

Hi I'm Julianne, a sophomore at Ohio U, majoring in communications. I am also the Events Director for HCOU.
Ohio University Contributor Account