Life > Experiences

Ways to Promote Sustainability During the Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

I love getting into the Halloween Spirit, but going out and buying a new costume every year isn’t the most sustainable way to enjoy the spooky season. Halloween can still be fun and exciting even while being eco-conscious. Here are a few ways to enjoy Halloween while keeping sustainability in mind!

make homemade treats for trick-or-treaters

halloween treats ghost brownies 1658871402 e1665376341966

Photo by Brian Woodcock/Country Living

Instead of going out and buying candies pre-wrapped in plastic, consider baking your own homemade goodies for trick-or-treaters this Halloween! Moreover, try packaging these treats in recyclable or biodegradable materials. Not only are these more sustainable, but they will also be a special treat to trick-or-treaters (and super yummy!)

Check out this list of 50 Homemade Halloween Treats to Celebrate the Spookiest Season!

Be sure to keep in mind those who have food allergies, gluten and dairy intolerances, and are vegan!

Thrift, DIY, or borrow your costume

Local thrift stores are a great place to find costume supplies, and thrifted clothes are the perfect base to DIY a costume from! However, if that’s not an option, you should also consider borrowing from a friend who might have the perfect clothes for your costume!

If thrifting, DIY-ing, or borrowing pieces for your costume won’t work, and you need to purchase online, consider buying pieces that can be implemented into your everyday wardrobe (or even a statement piece you can wear again!)

decor can be thrifted, too!

Screenshot 38

Photo by Parade

Similar to costumes, there are plenty of ways to be sustainable when decorating for the Halloween season! Reusing decor from previous years, thrifting, DIY-ing, and buying secondhand from flea markets and yard sales are great ways to stay spooky and sustainable.

Check out this list of 48+ Cheap, Easy DIY Halloween Decorations to Get Your Ghoul On!

Use a pillow case or tote bag for trick-or-treating

If you’ll be out collecting goodies and treats this Halloween (because even college students can go trick-or-treating), consider using sustainable alternatives to plastic pails. These include but are not limited to the tried-and-true pillow case, a tote bag, or a t-shirt tied at one end to create a bag. In the end, it’s the sweets inside that matter, not the bag!

Hi! I'm a second-year Honors Tutorial College journalism student and writer at Ohio University! I enjoy exercising, studying, local coffee, and collecting stickers from local businesses! I can't wait to take you on my college journey!