The Tragic Case of Gabby Petito- An Ongoing Investigation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Chances are, you have probably heard this name. Recently, a young woman named Gabby Petito went missing. Her fiance, Brian, and Gabby were traveling across the united states going to a bunch of National Parks. They both were influencers on Instagram, constantly posting about their adventures and their feelings. I want to break down what has happened so far, step by step. 

Gabby and Brian left for their monthslong roadtrip on July second. Their plan was to visit many national parks. 

On August 12th, Gabby posted a picture of herself at the arches and on that same day a domestic violence report was put on them. They both claimed it was over something small, however the fight had become physical when the couple who saw this fight reported the incident. Both of them stated that they didn’t want to see someone charged with a crime for an argument. The couple recalls seeing Brian running up and down a side walk slapping her. The police filed it as a “mental health crisis.” 

The last time a family member had been on a phone call with Gabby before her disappearance was in between the time of August 23rd and 24th. 

August 25th, the last instagram post from Gabby was created. It had a very oddly short caption, which varied from her previous captions on instagram before.

The final text from Gabby was on August 30th. A short text saying “No service in Yosemite.” 

On September 1st, Brian had returned from their trip in the van they both were staying in, alone. A few days following, on September 11th, Gabby’s family filed a missing persons report. 

Brian Laundrie was marked as the main suspect. He refused to talk to police about what had happened and he has not been seen since September 14th. Gabbys family says through their attorney,

“Brian is not missing, he is hiding. Gabby is missing.”

There was a massive search being conducted to find Ms. Petitos body and then on September 19th, remains that are believed to be Gabbys, were found in a national park in Wyoming. 

Confirmed on the 21st that the remains was Gabby Petito.

So far, there has been no more news about where Brian Laundrie is. The police have issued a warrant to search Mr. Laundrie’s home, they took a bunch of items and a Ford Mustang as evidence. His family has also refused to talk about his location besides that he left with his backpack on Tuesday and said he was going to the reserve. On Tuesday the 21st, an autopsy will be performed on Ms. Petitos remains. 

This story is absolutely heartbreaking. The couples fans feel heartbroken and confused, Ms. Petitos family is grieving for their daughter, and women all around are terrified because this story hits too close to home. The amount of missing persons reports filed every year is huge, and the fact that it could be you is so scary. Having someone you trust and love possibly kill you, similar to the Chris Watts case. 

All I can say is I hope the family finds peace and that they get the answer they are waiting for, who did it. This case is absolutely crushing and I hope the murderer can be found. 

Sources

Gabrielle-gabby-petito-missing-timeline.html

Index.html 

Index.html

live-updates

Hi! I am Maddie and I am from Kent. I love crystals, plants, music, and I am really into chakra cleansing. I hike and do yoga during my free time! My major is music education and my dream job is to be an elementary music teacher. I am in a treble ensemble called Bella Voce, a music fraternity called Sigma Alpha Iota, and Nafme!