This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

This year I have been getting back into reading for enjoyment and the third book I read this year was “The Love Hypothesis” by Ali Hazelwood. This book is essentially a classic love story however it was completely wonderful. Don’t read if you don’t want to be spoiled!!!

“The Love Hypothesis” is a book following the main character, Olive, who is a graduate student studying how to get rid of a certain type of cancer. Starting in the first half of the book Olive kisses the first person she sees in the Biology hallway which happened to be the moody and harsh Adam Carlsen. Carlsen is a professor and is known for being cut throat. The reason she kissed him is because she wanted to convince her best friend, Ahn, that she was no longer in love with her ex, Jeremy, and that Jeremy and Ahn could date. To further convince Ahn, Carlsen and Olive started dating and things sprang from there.

This book was like tight warm hug for my heart. It is the classic trope of a moody guy with a girl who is like sunshine. Olive was a dimensional character, not one where she only thinks about boys. In reality she is very successful and a hardworking scientist who has her own personality and individuality. Carlsen is like in Shrek where Shrek says Ogres have layers like onions. Throughout the book he just unpeels into a raw caring person who can be emotional. It rids of toxic masculinity and show men can have feelings. This entire book kept my interest the whole time and I could not stop reading it.

“The Love Hypothesis” is a classic love story, with not so classic characters. It is unique and follows two stories, one of a girls success as a grad student and a love story. It is complex but not so complex that you will not understand it and it will keep you sucked in the whole time. To be honest, if you hate romance, you would probably not like this book however I love anything romance. It makes you giddy, excited, and super invested in the story!

I give “The Love Hypothesis” a 4 out of 5 stars!

Hi! I am Maddie and I am from Kent. I love crystals, plants, music, and I am really into chakra cleansing. I hike and do yoga during my free time! My major is music education and my dream job is to be an elementary music teacher. I am in a treble ensemble called Bella Voce, a music fraternity called Sigma Alpha Iota, and Nafme!