This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Now that we are fully immersed in the fall semester exams are in full swing. Hopefully everyone was studying so far this semester…if not, I am here to help. Everyone knows the common tips like “study two hours for every hour in class” and “reviewing your notes after class will help you retain information”, but I’m not going to bore you with those. The tips I am going to share with you are ones you might not have heard before.

Finding the right time to study is super important in being successful. Say goodbye to the all-nighters and replace them with a better time for studying. A good way to do this is to figure out your best time of day for studying. For example; my motivation is high between 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and from 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Since I know I can focus better during this time, I try to schedule my day around those times when I can. Another tip is using any wait time to study. Instead of scrolling on Instagram in the doctor’s office, pull up your notes from class. You might be saying, “It’s only ten minutes, that isn’t going to benefit me,” but that’s not true. Those ten minutes you wait for your doctor, then the fifteen minutes you wait outside your teacher’s office, and those ten minutes you have when you’re early to class adds up to thirty-five minutes. I don’t know about you, but I would love to have an extra half an hour of study time that doesn’t mess up my schedule. We all have our preferences, but just remember to make the most of your valuable time.

Now along with study times, there are tips on the best places to study. It is beneficial to study in the same place because your body will get used to you studying in that area. This can help make a good habit of studying without distractions. Another tip is not getting too comfortable in your study areas. It’s probably not a good idea to study in your bed, because then you also want to sleep or watch Netflix. Along with that, it is recommended to study in the library. Subconsciously we know that libraries are for studying. You walk into the quiet environment of diligent students and follow suit. Of course, you don’t have to change where you like to study, but it would be beneficial to train yourself to use that place only for studying.

Another major topic for all students in the fall semester, especially freshman, is balancing school with the rest of your life. That means discussing study time or quiet hours with your roommate and knowing that it’s better to study without your phone or TV. It’s also a good idea to know what draws your attention and try to put those things away during your study block. A big help is to look around at your friends and listen to how they misuse your time. Many students utter the phrase “I know I have homework, but I’d rather nap.” This is a common example, but I bet we all have an entire list of examples. The most important tip of all, especially because of our “OU, Oh Yeah” mindset, is that we need to learn to say no. You don’t have to go out the weekend before midterms. You don’t have to go out if you want to finish a few assignments. You don’t have to go out just because a lot of students do. Balancing our personal lives with school can be a major challenge at first, so try a few of these tips if you are struggling.

I guess that’s all I have for you! Remember that your preferences for studying don’t have to be like everyone else’s and that you don’t have to use any tips written in this article. Yet, they might be very beneficial if you do decide to try a few.

Sources:

https://www.rasmussen.edu/student-life/blogs/college-life/how-to-study/

https://slc.berkeley.edu/study-and-success-strategies

Junior at Ohio University studying Management Information Systems and Business Analytics. Member of the Select Leaders Development Program in the College of Business. I enjoy using writing as a way to express my thoughts in an informal way and to help others with the little things in life.