Study Abroad: Culture Shock in Athens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.
A four-hour bus ride, two plane rides, and a car trip from the Columbus airport back to Cincinnati, and I was finally home from Mexico. Instead of the fresh spring air to greet me, I was greeted by 80 degree weather, which was very similar to my typical days in Mérida. I was headed to anywhere someone who had just been in Mexico for 10 weeks would do, I went to Chipotle. After stuffing my belly with the faux Mexican food, it started to hit me: I wouldn’t be back in Mérida for a long time — if ever. I wouldn’t be with the same 40 OU students I had been grouped with everyday. I wouldn’t be able to go to the little panadería (bakery) everyday between classes, I wouldn’t be able to catch a bus to the beach every other day, and I wouldn’t be hearing nor speaking Spanish everyday. 

Although English is my native language, it was strange coming back home knowing that the language I naturally speak is now the language everyone understands. It was strange knowing that I wouldn’t have to think about verb-subject agreement, verb conjugation, verb tense, etc. The notion that I may never return to Mexico, let alone Mérida, hit me hard.

Mérida had been home for three months; I had become accustomed to walking under the Mexican sun everyday; I wouldn’t be going to Centro de Idiomas del Sureste (CIS, our school) and talking to our teachers; I wouldn’t be eating lunch with my mamá and abuela and talking about silly things everyday; I wouldn’t be heading into Centro looking at all the hidden shops. I wouldn’t be able to climb up Mayan ruins again, and I wouldn’t see the friends I made. I was soon headed back to Athens, the town I hadn’t seen since November, and off to see friends I hadn’t seen since fall quarter. It was strange to drive back down Court Street and realize, not only had Athens changed, but I had changed as well.

Although I didn’t jet-set across the globe, and was on the same continent, I considered Mérida home for winter quarter, and it steadily gained a place forever in my heart. I found myself in Mexico and discovered that I’m a pretty kick-ass Spanish speaker—even if I’m the blonde-hair, blued-eyed gringa (slang for “American”) who’s obviously not from Mexico. I learned that I love speaking Spanish, even just the simple things like the weather and what’s in the news. I may not be a fan of analyzing Latin American literature and poems, but Mérida showed me that if you just try to speak Spanish, native speakers will appreciate your effort. Mérida also showed me the true side of Mexico as well as the Yucatán peninsula; not the touristy side shown in Cancún.

My life changed for the better while I was in Mexico. Being able to be submerged in the Spanish language and Mexican (and Yucatecan) culture, helped me learn more efficiently and improved my speaking—plus my accent—skills significantly. These advances made me love Spanish and Mexico even more. So, next quarter when I’m taking the OPI, I plan on thinking of Mérida and all the adventures I had in paradise.

Photos courtesy of Carly Wiita

Senior magazine journalism and Spanish major at Ohio University.
Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.