halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX

Spooky Movies To Watch During the Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The moment everyone has been waiting for has finally arrived: Spooky Season! Halloween is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate Halloween than with some spooky movies? Here are 15 spooky movies to watch this Halloween season. Each movie will be rated on its scare factor from one to five pumpkins with one pumpkin being spooky fun and five pumpkins being terrifying.

Hocus Pocus (1993)

This is a classic Halloween film that I put on my watch list year after year. It’s fun, it’s a little spooky, and it never gets old. The iconic pairing of Winifred, Sarah, and Mary is an unmatched trio, and they always get me in the Halloween spirit as soon as they sing the first notes of “I Put a Spell On You.”

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ

Spooky Buddies (2011)

This is such a cute but spooky movie! The “Buddies” movies are always so fun to watch, and what’s cuter than talking puppies? Follow Rosebud, Budderball, Buddha, B-dawg, and Mudbud on their spooky adventures in the town of Fernfield.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ

Halloweentown (1998)

Witches and warlocks from far and wide gather to watch this movie during the Halloween season. When Marnie Piper discovers she comes from a family of witches, she follows her grandma back to a magical place called Halloweentown where she discovers her own power while trying to save the town from evil.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ

Girl vs. Monster (2012)

Have you ever wanted to be a steampunk monster hunter? Well, you can be through watching this movie! “Girl vs. Monster” is an action-packed Disney movie, and it is great for people who want to start off with an “easy,” but a little scarier, movie.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ

Haunted MANSION (2003)

This is a movie that is based on the beloved ride at Disney World, and it definitely is just as spooky. “The Haunted Mansion” follows a family who moves into, you guessed it, a haunted mansion. It is so much fun to watch, but it is also sure to give you a bit of a freight.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ

Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Boys and girls of every age, would you like to see something strange? Then turn on “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” Some people argue if this is a Halloween movie or a Christmas movie, but I think it’s both. It’s a movie that holds the spookiness of Halloween while introducing the first thoughts of the Christmas season. That is what makes this movie a must-see.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ

Beetlejuice (1988)

Beetlejuice… Beetlejuice… Beetlejuice! This classic horror comedy movie has something for everyone. It’s scary but so much fun! It is for sure a unique movie and Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder steal the show in this movie. It is for sure another phenomenal watch.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ

Coraline (2009)

This movie is scarier than one may think. It follows Coraline, a young girl who is annoyed by her parents moving her into a new house. She thinks there is nothing to do since her parents are constantly working, that is until she discovers a crawl space to another world where she meets a family that she could only dream of. This movie takes watchers on twists and turns. You definitely do not want to miss this movie during the spooky season.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ

The Shining (1980)

We have officially arrived at the first true horror movie on this list, and what a classic to start off with. “The Shining” is an iconic movie that still holds its popularity level today. It is psychologically thrilling and a must-watch for those horror movie lovers out there.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

“Nightmare on Elm Street” is sure to give you nightmares. Especially when this movie is all about a killer infiltrating people’s dreams. I won’t give away too much, but this movie will definitely stay with you once your watch is done.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ

Scream (1996)

What’s your favorite scary movie? Well, “Scream” is mine. This movie will have you hooked until the very end as the town of Woodsboro, California tries to solve the mystery of who is killing local teenagers. Even after watching this movie so many times, I am still on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Halloween (1978)

Michael Myers is one of the most iconic slashers ever created. No matter how many movies they make in the “Halloween” series, the original will always hold the title of the best film of the franchise. It’s suspenseful and scary. The way he stalks toward his victims is what makes him stand out from other popular horror movie monsters.

The Exorcist (1973)

“The Exorcist” is a truly horrifying film to watch. The movie’s special effects were ahead of their time, making it stand out from others. When I first watched this film, it truly scared me, and I am not one to scare easily. It was an excellent film that people should definitely take the time to watch during the spooky season.

Spook-o-meter Rating: πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ πŸŽƒ

The Conjuring (2013)

This is another horror film that I personally enjoy. It is definitely not for those who are scared easily. This movie is part of a much larger franchise of films that follow Ed and Lorraine Warren who were paranormal investigators. Each movie is based on a true story.

Hell House LLC (2015)

When I first watched this movie, I was shocked at how scary and how spectacular it was. I did not expect to love the movie as much as I did. If you are looking for a lesser-known horror movie, then this is for you. Watch if you dare, for it is sure to give you quite a scare.

Hello! My name is Sophia Anness, and I am a freshman HTC Journalism major at Ohio University. I love dancing, reading, and watching movies. I am super exciting to be a part of HerCampus!