A Ranking Of Athens Thrift Stores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

I’ve always had a love for thrift stores. There is something truly magical about sorting through tons of used clothing and stumbling upon a treasure. There’s nothing like finding designer brand clothing for as little as a dollar. My local Goodwill has always been the first stop on my list when I am in need of new clothing. Here in Athens, we are blessed to have a variety of thrift stores and here is my ranking of the best thrift stores in Athens County. 

5. New-To-You Thrift Shoppe

(Photo courtesy of athensmessenger.com)

This store is filled with interesting trinkets and tons of clothing. However, beneath the clothing racks there were bins filled with clothes which made it hard to get to see a lot of it.  

4. Reuse Thrift Store

(Photo courtesy of The Athens News) 

This thrift shop is conveniently located about 200 feet from New-To-You Thrift Shoppe which makes it easy to hit up both in one day. This store is great if you’re all about the deals. When I was there they were having a buy-one-get-one free sale on all of their clothing which makes it easy to stock up.

3. Athens Underground

(Photo courtesy yelp.com)

Honestly, this place would be number one if it wasn’t on the pricier side. It has a ton of vintage jewelry, clothes, books and more. Unfortunately, it’s hard to afford all the amazing vintageness when you’re ballin’ on a college kid budget. Even so, I could spend an hour in this store just looking at all the amazing things they have to offer.

2. Goodwill

(Photo courtesy of goodwill.org)

If you are looking for the biggest selection of used clothes in Athens, then Goodwill is your best bet. It has racks upon racks of T-shirts, sweaters, jeans and more. It’s hard to go in there and not walk out with at least one new find.

1. Mother Earth Community Thrift Store

(Photo courtesy of googleplus.com)

I’m not sure what it is about this place that makes me love it so much. It could be that they have great prices. It could be that whoever is working is super sweet and welcoming. It could also be because while your thrifting you might also stumble upon a kitten or two that roam around the store. Honestly, the cats probably play a huge role in why I love this store so much. Other than that they have some great finds and all their clothes are laundered before being sold which is a huge plus!

Ohio University Class of 2018 | Psychology major West Virginia native now living in Athens. I love traveling, eating junk food and quoting The Office. You'll probably find me yelling at a TV while watching football. 
Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!