This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

As a Journalism student, I find myself writing frequently. I also find myself pausing mid essay, article or discussion post, unsure of what comes next.

Being a college student can be stressful and the last thing you need is a headache over how to write cohesively. you That is why I have composed a list of 5 ways you can overcome the nasty plague of writer’s block.

REevaluate your workplace

Where are you writing? Maybe it’s a beautiful day and your sitting on a bench enjoying a spring breeze. Or it’s rainy and gloomy so you’ve decided to pursue your favorite seat at the library. Wherever you have decided to write, if the flow is disturbed, it’s time to reevaluate.

If your workplace is noisy and disruptive, gather your things and find some peace and quiet.

On the other end of the spectrum, is your workplace too quiet? Try some classical music or white noise programs like calm.

Maybe your sitting at your desk and it’s a distracting mess. Take a moment to clean up before you continue.

Sometimes, an easily explained cause of writer’s block is your environment. Altering the space your in or choosing another location may be a simple solution to your dreadful issue.

REad

To some people, reading is an unenjoyable chore. If these people include you, skip number 2 and try out 3.

Though it sounds kind of strange, we all had to learn to read before we could write. Much of your subconscious inspiration comes from things you have previously read. I’m not suggesting an entire novel. A chapter or a simple news paper article may be enough to get your wheels turning.

Make a draft and don’t stop

Sometimes, it’s hard to come up with ideas and a flow or structure. That is why creating a very rough draft may be beneficial. Know your writing does not have to equal perfection.

A great exercise is starting a timer and refusing to stop writing. This sounds tough, but simply typing or scribing the first things that come to mind can formulate great ideas. Even if what you produced was garbage in your eyes, it is a start to overcoming that annoying writer’s block.

An application that forces you to do that very thing is The Most Dangerous Writing App. You can start with or without a prompt. If you stop typing for too long, your words disappear. It is frustrating, helpful, and productive all at the same time.

bullet points

Sometimes the hardest part of writing is formulating the sentences. Though it sounds tedious, take a moment to create bullet points. This could be on a sticky note, in a google doc or even wherever your writing is taking place.

This is almost like a quick rough draft. Ask yourself some questions:

What point do I want to get across?

What does my audience need to know?

What is my goal in writing this piece?

By creating bullet points, you’ll be able to make the points you want to make while avoiding rambling through writing.

Take a well deserved break

Writing can be hard. There’s no use in getting hung up over a sentence you can’t form or an idea you can’t come up with. Even if it’s just 10 minutes, take a walk. Get a coffee or watch your favorite show or movie. You are only human and you deserve a break, for your physical and mental well-being.

Abby is a junior at Ohio University. She is studying Journalism News and Information. In her free time, Abby enjoys painting, reading, writing, and thrifting!