This or That: OU Rivalries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

College is a competitive time. Students compete with other students within their major to land the dream internship while universities as a whole compete against each other in athletics, debates, awards, and more. However, what we may not consider is the competition that is present on our very own campus. OU has a lot of incredible things to offer, but the question is, how do you choose?

Battle for Best Dining Hall: Nelson v. Shively

Nelson: Located on South Green next to the front four, it is no wonder that this dining hall gets a lot of attention. Nelson is known for serving breakfast all day, complete with bacon, scrambled eggs, and a custom omelette bar. Even more exciting is the make-your-own sundae bar that includes soft serve frozen yogurt and limitless toppings. Looking for a dining experience with all the bells and whistles? Nelson is for you.

Shively: Located on East Green at the bottom of Morton Hill, this dining hall makes all of its food with love. Though a bit smaller than Nelson and with less amenities, Shively never disappoints with its Touch of Home options that seemingly come straight from your mom’s oven. It’s real ice cream shop and its very own “Shookie” (triple-chocolate cookie) are just a few of the things that make Shively its sincere and original.

Battle for Best Athens Burrito: Big Mamma’s v. Burrito Buggy

Big Mamma’s:  If you’re trying to find a pack of hungry drunk people on a Friday night, you’ve come to the right place. If you’re looking for friendly employees that don’t mind the packs of hungry drunk people, you’ve come to the right place. If you’re looking for Chipotle Ranch deliciousness stuffed inside a tortilla, you’ve come to the right place.

Burrito Buggy: You have probably walked past it on your way to class or on your way uptown many times. But I promise, if you actually stop and smell the roses (and by roses I mean freshly cooked veggies), you won’t regret it. This buggy is an alumni favorite in a convenient location with cheap prices.

Battle for Worst Hill: Jeff Hill v. Morton Hill

Jeff Hill: She starts at Jefferson Hall and makes her way up to College Green. Primarily East Green dwellers have to deal with climbing what seems like an 80-degree angle. However, if you choose to take the journey, expect to be extremely winded by the time you reach the top.

Morton Hill: A slippery slope — or so they call it. On a rainy day you better hold on for dear life because the Athens bricks don’t offer much traction. While it is less steep than Jeff and heated in the winter, Morton is no easier to scale.

Battle for Best Green: East Green v. South Green v. West Green

East Green: It looks like its own little suburban town. It’s quaint, has great places to eat, and nice paved roads that are shadowed by gorgeous trees with fall leaves. What more could you ask for?

South Green: Home of both the infamous “Front Four” and “Dirty South.” They’re known to have a good time yet they’re pretty far removed from the world, especially Court Street. Is it worth the walk?

West Green: You’re likely to find a lot of in-shape and good-looking guys if you live on West. This Green is notoriously home to the athletes because of its close proximity to Peden Stadium and all of the training facilities. Can you hang with the big boys?

Battle for Best Athens Celebration: Fest season v. HallOUween

Fest season: Milliron, Mill Street, High Street, PalmerPlace Apartments, Palmer Street, and the Number Fest – one straight month of celebrating our school and the springtime. This is every Bobcat’s favorite time of year.

HallOUween: Critically acclaimed to be the biggest and best Halloween celebration in the country. From the costumes to the parties, this event is wild every year. You and your wristband are sure to have a blast. 

Can you choose? Let us know what you think are the best and the worst at @hercampusohiou or hercampusohiou@gmail.com!

Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).