Ohio U vs. Miami U: Green Beer Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Green Beer Day. Yepp, it’s just what it sounds like. A day where college students consume (too much) green beer. This day is recognized separately from St. Patrick’s Day, another holiday in which people consume green beer. If you’ve never heard of Green Beer Day, it’s probably because you’ve never attended Ohio University or Miami University. 

Although this tradition was started at Miami University, it is celebrated annually by both schools, which happen to be rivals. There has always been a battle between OU and MU regarding sports, town life, bar scene, and Green Beer Day. 

You may call me biased, but, let’s be honest. Even if Miami stared the GBD tradition- their colors are RED AND WHITE. I know, how the heck can they celebrate Green Beer Day the right way when they have to go out and buy a green tshirt for it? Ohio University school colors are green and white, so naturally OU students have to wake up, throw on a OU or school spirit shirt, and they’re good to go. 

This year, Miami celebrated their Green Beer Day the Friday before their spring break. OU is celebrating theirs the Wednesday after Miami did, but it’s not bad to be second, this Green Beer Day falls the week before St. Patrick’s Day. Students at Miami may be on Spring Break this week, but OU gets to celebrate Green Beer Day, Mill Fest (one of the many all day street festivals Athens is known for), and St. Patrick’s day within the same week. 

Lastly, OU has been ranked as a Princeton Review Top 10 Party School for numerous years. In 2011 OU was second, 2012 they took the crown, and for 2013 is third. Only in 2013 did Miami crack the top ten. If that’s not reason enough to side with OU, I don’t know what is.

All in all, students are going to side with their school. I know where I’ll be celebrating Green Beer Day this year, and I couldn’t be more proud to sport my green and white Ohio University tshirt while sipping a tall, cold, green one. 
Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.