My Soon-To-Be Travel Abroad Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

I wasn’t fortunate enough to study abroad during my time here at OU. It wasn’t for the sake of not trying; after all, there was a Journalism program in Africa on the table, but it didn’t work out. No harm done. No tears shed—but a persistent feeling of “missing out” remained. 

I have had a number of friends study abroad and they always talk about the amazing experiences, incredible opportunities, life-changing moments…blah, blah, blah. (I really was happy for them, I promise.) They come back new people, a little more mature, more appreciative, more worldly—whatever, I wanted my turn! Where was my life-altering experience abroad? When would I be able to have my turn? 

As a graduating senior, the rush to research and apply for jobs was a necessary evil. But what seemed inevitable and inescapable, to me it had to be put on the back burner. I wanted to travel. No, I needed to travel. I needed “that experience” that would change me for the better and help prepare me for the impending descent into the workforce. So I made an executive decision to just make something happen. 

I heard about an au pair website from a friend and proceeded to make a profile one night. The next day I had 10 messages from perspective families in Spain, Italy and France. I was elated! I have since picked a very sweet family from Madrid, Spain with two girls and for 90 days over the summer I will be a new addition to their family. I’m finally getting my turn and I couldn’t be more excited. 

So if any of my fellow seniors are itching to go abroad before joining the real world, consider working abroad to save money and gain experiences. Here are some sites to check out:

Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.