This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Recently I have been listening to more podcasts than normal. They are a great way to stay entertained while doing mundane tasks and overall, you can learn a lot of differing information depending on your podcast of choice. For me, that podcast has been Crime Junkie.

Now, if you’ve ever found yourself falling into a rabbit hole of podcasts, you’ve probably heard of Crime Junkie. The podcast debuted in December 2017 and has remained at the top of the charts since, accumulating over 500 million downloads, 630 stories, and donating $643,000 to charity. However, if you haven’t listened to an episode of Crime Junkie and have any interest in crime-related stories and mysteries, this is the podcast for you.

Each episode is unique, covering a new case backed up with a lot of hard work and research. From kidnapping cases to serial killers, each story has a lesson behind it. The host, Ashley Flowers has some of the best storytelling skills I have ever heard! She founded AudioChuck, which is a podcast network that is primarily female-focused. There is also a co-host, Brit who makes side-line commentary loaded with theories and questions.

Here’s the thing: prior to Crime Junkie, I was always a big podcast critique. I questioned why someone would listen to a podcast when there are more stimulating media sources like television, movie, or books. Then I realized how entertaining they make long commutes. I saw how fast I cleaned because I was so distracted by listening to such in-depth stories. I also realized how purposeful these stories were. They criticize aspects of the justice system and bring to attention potential implications including misogyny, domestic abuse, racism, and other harmful social issues intertwined with a crime. They share safety tips and ultimately seek justice for unsolved crimes. The hosts of Crime Junkies even seek to fund DNA testing that may solve a cold case.

So, still haven’t listed to Crime Junkie? Their episodes are on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Audible, and many other free streaming services. Try it out on your next walk, the next time you’re doing chores, or even just the next time you find yourself bored. I promise you won’t regret it.

Abby is a junior at Ohio University. She is studying Journalism News and Information. In her free time, Abby enjoys painting, reading, writing, and thrifting!