Make Those Resolutions Stick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s the end of January, the warm weather is long gone, and unfortunately, so is the motivation for New Year’s resolutions. If I asked for a raise of hands for those who have already given up on their resolutions, as it happens each year, there would be a majority of hands in the air. Let me be the first to come forward and admit that I have already lost motivation for 2014. Each year it starts the same: I eat healthy and go to the gym several times for the first few weeks of the month and then, not before long, there appears a bag of chips in my hand and my tennis shoes collecting dust in my closet. As difficult as it is to keep to your resolutions, there are solutions! I have made a list of resolution tips to help make for a better second chance. It’s not too late, so read on and show 2014 that this year will finally be different.

1. Be a part of a team!

No matter if you want to eat healthier, workout more, or do better in school, don’t do it alone! Grab a friend and work on the resolution together. It is a lot easier to get a task done and feel motivated when you have someone by your side. You and your friend can help push each other and root one another on as you’re going.

2. Reward yourself for reaching goals!

Set a date for goals you would like to achieve throughout the process. If you reach a goal, then give yourself a token as reward. By doing so, you will be more motivated to complete a task and feel good as the token serves as a reminder for your accomplishment. The cute top you have been eyeing online for a while can finally be yours and paid for with your hard work and dedication.

3. Keep a positive attitude!

If you think more positively about reaching your goal, then a successful outcome is more likely. Instead of thinking, “I won’t be able to keep it up for very long, so why bother?” change your view and think, “I may not succeed, but I can at least make improvements.” Even the slightest self-doubt can bring on a negative attitude. By being more optimistic, it will be easier to get tasks done.

4. Set a more realistic goal.

If Mount Everest is too high of a peek, then try reducing the climb. Each goal one sets for themselves is a “climb,” but it is important to know one’s level of difficulty.  If it is impossible to reach a certain number of set goals in a given time, then make some changes. It will be easier to succeed when set goals are more attainable. Don’t make goals overwhelming, or else you may go tumbling down along the way. Aim for a reasonable peek in order to be able to enjoy the view from the top.

5. Change the name of the game!

Those daunting words, “New Year’s resolution,” haunt over many, but don’t let the words keep you down. If New Year’s resolutions seem like an overused or meaningless phrase, then select a different word choice. Instead, think of them as assignments or game strategies. Depending on the person and what you’re into, think of the resolutions as something else that will help you achieve goals. A change in name can eliminate the indimidation factor and add up to success.