Style > Decor

The Pros and Cons of Buying Clearance Plants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

As a plant lover and killer, I want nothing more to be successful or at least feel successful in my plant’s journeys through life. I know what you’re thinking: what does that mean? I mean if I have a plant I want to see some growth..at least a little bit. Even if it just a new bud or a little more spring in its leaf, I was to feel like I’m really growing something, nurturing if you will. In all aspects of my life I have also been a little bit of a “care for the things that need to be taken care of” kind of girl.. like for example I would get the teddy bear that has a third arm rather than the one that is regularly shaped. In a way I think I enjoy the challenge of a needy plant, one that just needs TLC or a new pot.

Here Are the Pros and Cons of Clearanced Plants:

Pros:

They Need you

Who doesn’t like something that needs you, like.. literally depends on you, we can all agree that the whole needs you to live can be a negative when it comes to people, but plants, why not! Being able to care for something while it gives beauty back to you is rewarding and can make you feel accomplished.

Simplicity

If a plant is on clearance sometimes this just means that the normal pant store watering schedule was not for them/they need a stricter schedule. I know that I usually google my new plants needs when I pick them up, that almost always does the trick when it comes to the droops/yellowing leaves.

Lessens spending guilt

When I say I buy clearance plants, I mean real clearance, 50% or lower only. This gives me the freedom to pick and choose what plant I want based on not only what kind of plant they are but also what pot they are in. We all know that those little plastic pots are oh so basic and almost immediately needs to be replaced, when do you get a cheap pot? Never. Pots are really expensive and you would be surprised how many times a small chip on a pot gets the pot and plant put right on clearance. I have several adorable pots that (even if the plants didn’t make it) get to live on in my bedroom!

Cons:

Could Definitely Die

Unfortunately some plants are on clearance for a deeper than the eye can see reason.. and sometimesTLC and water just can’t fix it. So as sad as it is some clearance plants do die, luckily most of the time it comes with the addition of a new pot to your collection- so even this has a silver lining.

Low selection

Occasionally there is a low selection of clearance plants/sometimes all you will find is seasonal decor. For example you may find a high variety of succulents but only in santa pots. Most of the time you have to walk into the clearance plant section with an open mind of what you are going to be walking out with, they arent always going to have every type of plant, but it just makes it mean more when you get lucky!

I say risk it with the clearance plants, it will make and you wallet feel good!

Carly Getter is a Junior in the Communications Sciences and Disorders major at Ohio University with plans to become an audiologist. She loves to read, drink coffee, and love on her bunny Keeto!