How to Stay Motivated During the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s week eight of ten here at OU, and all of us are going crazy trying to stay motivated to finish out the quarter as strong as we started it. Well, fellow Bobcats, I’m here to give you tips and ideas on how to stay motivated for the upcoming weeks.

Outdoor Activities:
Whether laying out on South Beach or white water rafting is your kind of outdoor activity, fear not! We have many programs here to fulfill your craving for the great outdoors. Being out in the sunshine can help boost your mood and make you productive. Try to schedule an outdoor activity on the weekends to reward yourself for hard work completed. You can visit hiking spots like The Ridges and Strouds Run, but the Outdoor Pursuits program run through Ping Center offers numerous weekend trips throughout the end of the quarter. Even better, all of the events have student friendly pricing. Find the schedule at http://www.ohio.edu/recreation/outdoorpursuits/trips.cfm

Fests:
If you’re one of the many students who enjoy the fests on the weekends, you know how fast your weekend goes by standing on front lawns with friends. In order to keep up with your work, limit your time at fests. There is usually a fest planned for each Friday and Saturday in May, which only leaves Sunday for all of your work. Try setting aside part of Friday afternoon and evening for homework and hit up the fest later at night. That way you have at least some work done before those lazy Sunday afternoons.

Study Groups:
Have a tough class where it seems like you can’t get a grip on the information? Start studying and doing homework with a group of people in the class. That way you get help from your peers in completing your assignments instead of putting it off because you don’t understand it. Sometimes, the way a peer explains something makes much more sense than the way your professor explained it. And who knows, you could walk away with a new group of friends!

To-Do Lists:
As elementary school as this sounds, create weekly or daily to-do lists, so you know exactly what needs to get done and when its due. No more waking up at 6 A.M. to type that essay you forgot was due. Seeing your tasks crossed off is rewarding, and when you’ve finished all of them reward yourself! Go out to eat with friends or have a relaxing movie night. You’ve earned it.

Bad Before Good:
Easier said than done, but get your most hated assignments out of the way first. If you finish your least favorite assignments first, the rest of your homework won’t seem to strenuous. Leading back to balancing fests and homework, try doing your toughest assignment before you head to the Friday night fest, that way on Sunday you’re able to somewhat relax while finishing up the rest.

As students, we can only hope to finish out the quarter strong. With all of the great things that come along with Spring Quarter here in Athens, school is what we’re here for. Don’t forget to reward yourself for hard work. Remember, keep calm and carry on! 

Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.
Rebekah Meiser is a senior studying Magazine Journalism at Ohio University, with a split specialization in Italian and Art History. Like many Italians, she is obnoxiously proud of her heritage and fully embraces it by consuming embarrassing amounts of pasta, bread and cheese. She currently owes a scary amount of money to the government, but continues to masochistically check Net-a-Porter and Urban Outfitters online for beautiful items that she lusts but cannot afford. Rebekah goes to school in the middle of some of the best cornfields in Ohio. Although she finds the location less than ideal, she has become an avid star-gazer thanks to the unpolluted sky. A true lover of fashion, her friends make fun of her for playing dress up as often as she does, but she’s not one to be discouraged. Rebekah also loves to run (read: alternate between jogging and walking), read fashion blogs, bake, and read magazines (of which she owns a forest-worth). She hopes to live and work in New York City after she graduates in the spring.