How I Lost (Not Gained) the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

As I rounded the corner of the track I managed to pick up speed until I finally crossed the line marking the end of my two-mile run. Panting, I tried to catch my breath with each step I took as I walked an additional lap to cool down. My face was as red as a tomato and I had sweat dripping down my forehead, even through the cloth headband keeping my hair off my face. I walked down the stairs to the floor below where the scale waited for my weekly weigh-in.

I could feel my heart begin to race as I approached the scale. Here it was, the moment of truth. I took a deep breath and stepped on. I anxiously watched as the double zeros flashed repeatedly before settling on a number. There it was, flashing right before my eyes. It was the proof that during my first year of college I had lost, not gained, the “freshman 15.”

In those three summer months before coming to Ohio University I had managed to gain some unwanted weight that put me at the heaviest I have been to date. By no means was I fat, but I was at my heaviest which left me feeling very insecure about my body.

This weight gain can easily be attributed to a number of factors. Some weeks I found myself meeting friends several times for lunch at Chipotle or dining at classy Italian restaurants with my boyfriend. Not only did these outings tend to be costly, but it is safe to say that the number of calories in an oversized burrito or a plate of pasta slathered in a thick creamy Alfredo sauce is exorbitantly high.

I also spent my days splitting hours between two jobs. I worked as a barista local coffee shop as well as a server at a small ice cream shop in the middle of town. These jobs had many perks, my favorite being the free snacks. However, frozen coffee drinks and hot fudge sundaes are not exactly part of a healthy balanced diet.

In previous years I had mandatory volleyball conditioning for my high school team to keep me active during the summer. Now that I was headed off to college I was on my own for summer workouts. I tried to keep myself motivated, but in the summer heat relaxing by the pool seemed more appealing than going for a run around the neighborhood.

All these factors considered, it is clear that I was making some crucial mistakes when it came to making healthy choices. I knew that I would be facing many of these same obstacles once I moved on-campus. But I also knew that I couldn’t continue following that path. I was determined not to gain the dreaded “freshman 15,” however I could have never imagined that I would lose it instead.

Back home, one of my biggest problems was snacking. I would snack on the leftovers from last night’s dinner or dig into a bag of buttery popcorn late at night. Most of the time I would eat a snack just because I had nothing better to do.

At school, I have made a conscious effort to stop this bad habit. I have a standard meal plan and therefore don’t even have the luxury of spending my meals at the market. As frustrating as this was at first, it has paid off in the long run. Without the ability to buy greasy potato chips I was able to save myself from unnecessary saturated fats and calories. Since I don’t have these snacks in my dorm room, I don’t have to worry about giving in to those late night cravings.

In an article posted by ABC News, Katherine Tallmage, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, explains that an added 300 calories in the evening after dinner while watching TV — when you’re not even hungry — will pack on 30 pounds in one year,”

Nothing beats a home cooked meal, which is why during dinner I never hesitated to go back for seconds, or even thirds. With dining hall food, I never encountered this problem. It is no secret that Boyd Dinning hall is not a 5-star quality restaurant. Most of the food often looks questionable, which explains why I usually found myself at the salad bar. When I did stumble upon a meal that pleased my taste buds, I feared making the walk of shame up the aisle way towards the kitchen multiple times for more, so I wouldn’t indulge in numerous helpings.

The most difficult part of this process for me was finding a workout routine that I enjoyed. Fall quarter I joined the Ohio University Swim Club. I swam when I was younger, so I figured I would attempt to get back into the sport for an effective full body workout. Most days the workouts were challenging, but usually once a week we would end practice with a game of water polo or relay races.

For anyone looking for a fun way to get in daily exercise, I strongly urge you to join a club or intramural sport. They are a great way to get involved, meet new friends, and stay active. Ohio University offers many sports and activities from soccer and tennis to wakeboarding and synchronized skating.

It took me a while, but I also started taking advantage of the Ping Center. With three floors full of weights, cardio machines, open gyms, an indoor track, and a rock wall, any OU student would be crazy not to take advantage of everything Ping has to offer.

I started using the elliptical for 30-60 minutes and was amazed by the high number of calories I was burning. In one session I would burn anywhere from 400-900 calories depending on how long and how hard I worked.

From there I moved on to running laps around the indoor track. Over time I increased the distance I would run before stopping for a quick water break or lap of walking. Just recently I completed two miles without stopping. I know for some of you this might not seem like a big accomplishment, but for me, a person who gets bored and winded after half a mile, this was a major feat.

Now that the weather is nice, I have taken to the streets of campus for my daily runs. Our campus is beautiful and I have discovered some very scenic routes to jog. For a strenuous workout, I suggest running through the ridges. Running up and down the continuous hills works more leg muscles than running on flat ground. Plus, If you become accustomed to the area it won’t seem as frightening when you stop by to hunt for ghosts at odd hours of the night.

If the hills are too tough, the bike path that runs along the Hocking River is a very scenic and flat route. Spanning a total of 19 miles, this path is perfect for anyone looking to run long distances. I, on the other hand, usually run anywhere from one to three miles along the path and begin to make my way back home.

It has been a long journey, but I have never felt more confident about myself than I have lately. Making smarter eating choices and staying active have led to an overall healthier lifestyle. When I stepped on the scale this afternoon I am happy to report that I have lost fifteen pounds this year. It is a wonderful feeling to look in the mirror and to be excited about shopping for bathing suits, or to have my friends compliment me on my slimmer fitting jeans. Loosing weight is a challenge, but it is not impossible. All it takes is a few minor altercations to your everyday routine and you too can lose (not gain) the “freshman 15.”

Rebekah Meiser is a senior studying Magazine Journalism at Ohio University, with a split specialization in Italian and Art History. Like many Italians, she is obnoxiously proud of her heritage and fully embraces it by consuming embarrassing amounts of pasta, bread and cheese. She currently owes a scary amount of money to the government, but continues to masochistically check Net-a-Porter and Urban Outfitters online for beautiful items that she lusts but cannot afford. Rebekah goes to school in the middle of some of the best cornfields in Ohio. Although she finds the location less than ideal, she has become an avid star-gazer thanks to the unpolluted sky. A true lover of fashion, her friends make fun of her for playing dress up as often as she does, but she’s not one to be discouraged. Rebekah also loves to run (read: alternate between jogging and walking), read fashion blogs, bake, and read magazines (of which she owns a forest-worth). She hopes to live and work in New York City after she graduates in the spring.