Holiday Cheer is Growing Near

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.
This being my first time in Athens after Thanksgiving, I was in awe when I returned to find Court Street
lit up from end to end. Not only were the trees full of lights, but also the steeples of churches and sides of
buildings.

I thought to myself, “This is beautiful, why didn’t I notice it last year?” And then I remembered. I had
never been in Athens after Thanksgiving before. This is true for me, as well as the majority of students here
at Ohio University. For the first time in more than 40 years, we are experiencing December in Athens.

No matter where you go on campus, you’re reminded that it’s time for the holidays. From the bright lights
of Court Street to the boughs placed above College Gate, campus has been decorated for Christmas.

My favorite experience of this holiday cheer has been walking to and from class on Court Street and
listening to the Christmas carols playing from the speakers atop the streetlights. It was really a treat to see
the Christmas tree lighting on the corner of Court and Washington. Students and local residents alike lined
up to visit with Santa, listen to live carols performed by musical student organizations and watch as the tree
was officially lit up. Along with the tree lighting ceremony, free horse-drawn carriage rides were offered to
view all of the holiday lights of Athens.

Even Greek Life is participating in this special time in Athens. Almost every sorority and fraternity house
on campus has decked the halls with lights, inflatable characters, ribbons and wreaths. Since I’ve never
experienced this time of year, I’m not sure if the Greek life houses are decorated just because or if they are
participating in a contest held by the city to see who has the best Christmas decorations.

Although it’s difficult to decorate an all brick, two-story apartment building, my roommate and I have a
green-and-white mini Christmas tree set up in our front window to celebrate the season.

In order to add to the holiday cheer around town, The Athena Cinema on Court Street is playing a different
holiday classic movie every weekend. It’s called the Holiday Film Series and will feature E.T., Elf, How
the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Polar Express and A Christmas Story. When–and if since the weather has
been so mild lately–the air gets colder and snowflakes come our way, spend the afternoon watching one of
these Christmas classics with friends. I know I’m looking forward to catching a few of these!

Although the semester (which seemed to drag on) was mostly looked down upon by students, the various
activities in Athens surrounding the holidays can brighten anyone’s sprit.
Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.
Taylor is a graduate of Ohio University and former Co-Editor of Her Campus' OU branch. She would like to eventually work in the publishing industry with hopes of living in New York, San Francisco or Seattle. In her free time, Taylor enjoys reading, volunteering, or hitting up the most hipster joints in town.