XBadSkincareHabits HeroImagepng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
XBadSkincareHabits HeroImagepng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus / Megan Charles
Style > Beauty

Emily’s Top 5 Favorite Skincare Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Being someone who has struggled with having and sustaining clear and healthy skin, I have had my fair share of trial and error products. Finding products that suit my individual skin type has proved challenging, but here are my top five favorite skincare products I have found to work for my skin. 

The Ordinary, Rosehip Seed Oil 

Being someone who has struggled with acne and inflammation, it’s been hard finding a product that can tackle post-acne scars and marks without harsh chemicals that irritate my skin. Around my junior year of high school, my friend recommended The Ordinary Rosehip Seed Oil, and I’ve been addicted ever since. The fatty acids and vitamin A in this oil increase the your skin’s moisture while also speeding up your skin’s restoration process. I typically mix this oil with my moisturizer in the morning and night to promote brighter and healthier-looking skin. 

Neutrogena, Oil-Free Moisture For Sensitive Skin 

Everyone has a different skin type. Therefore finding the products that work best for your individual skin type is essential. I have always been someone with dry and sensitive skin, so finding a moisturizer that doesn’t irritate or cause breakouts has been hard. My mom has always been a big advocate for Neutrogena’s products. So, I decided to give their moisturizer a try, and I’ve never been happier. Many of my dermatologists have preached about high-end moisturizers that are not only expensive but very difficult to find. Neutrogena’s moisturizer can be found at your local CVS or Walmart for only $10, but it’s worth so much more. As mentioned above, I like to mix the Rosehip Seed Oil with this moisturizer before bed, causing my skin to be soft and refreshed when I wake up. 

First Aid Beauty, Ultra Repair Oat & Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil 

This antioxidant-rich facial oil made my top five due to it, including Cannabis Sative Seed Oil, omegas, fatty acids that all work together to promote smooth and relaxed skin. I have always been a big believer that oils can not only help the visible appearance of your skin but also improve your stress and happiness. I like to mix this oil with my moisturizer in the morning to start my day off with hydrated and relaxed skin. Unlike many other oils, this seed oil doesn’t clog my pores and often seeps into my skin quickly, which helps it not leave an oily appearance throughout the day. 

Cetaphil, Daily Facial Moisturizer with Sunscreen 

Finding a morning moisturizer that protects your skin from harmful elements outside is important in maintaining healthy skin. When I was in desperate need of a morning lotion, one of my requirements was that it had to incorporate some level of sunscreen in it. As mentioned above, I have always struggled with post-acne marks, and I quickly realized that not protecting your skin from the sun can not only amplify these marks, but it can make them worse. Cetaphil’s daily lotion has an SPF of 50+ and is a non-irritating, fragrance-free moisturizer that won’t clog your pores and is the perfect product to use beneath your makeup. I typically use this lotion after washing my face in the morning and mix it with the Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil above to help my skin maintain hydrated and refreshed throughout the day.

Lush, Mask Of Magnaminty 

This product is my most recent obsession when it comes to skincare. I have always been a huge fan of Lush and it’s bath bomb products, but I’ve never wanted to try their face masks for fear of having a bad reaction. I decided to break out of my shell and purchase the Mask Of Magnaminty, and I was very surprised with the results. This deep cleansing mask is made with peppermint oil and aduki beans that help exfoliate your skin. It can be used anywhere on your body. It helps remove the dead layers of skin that may be causing your face to break out. Incorporating an exfoliant into your weekly routine can be very important because your skin may be harboring layers of dirt and oil. This is the perfect mask to use during your self-care nights with friends. There’s something about the process of putting it on and feeling the tingles of the peppermint that is so soothing. I have yet to have a bad reaction to this mask, and I would definitely recommend this mask to anyone who enjoys masks and is in desperate need of a facial detox. 

Emily Squance is a sophomore at Ohio University studying communications in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. She is an active member of Variant Magazine and Active Minds. She likes to spend her time outside hiking with friends and listening to a broad range of music. Her words to live by are "treat people with kindness and compassion." : )
Ohio University Contributor Account