Disney’s “Once Upon A Studio” Brings The Magic Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

On Sunday, Oct. 15, Disney released a short film celebrating the 100th Anniversary called “Once Upon a Studio.” This short brought together characters from all Disney films made in the last 100 years. This short story combines classic characters like Snow White and Pinocchio with newer characters like Elsa and Moana.

There is a lot to unpack when watching the movie, and sometimes it is easiest to have someone break it down for watchers. The film starts as staff leave Roy E. Disney Animation Studios for the night on the 100th Anniversary of the Disney brand. As a quietness falls over a seemingly empty studio, it comes alive. Characters from the century’s past begin appearing out of their homes in the frames on the walls.

Right off the bat, a smile is brought to watchers’ faces as characters who would have never interacted converse with each other. One of the best parts of the short film is that Disney used all the original voice actors for their characters. They even used the voices of Disney voice actors who have passed on such as Robin Williams (Genie) and Cliff Edwards (Jiminy Cricket).

Another fascinating part of the film is that every character is animated to stay true to their original animation style. Characters that were first animated in 2D stayed that way, and the same went for 3D animated characters. Seeing Disney characters animated in that style again brings about nostalgia for audiences.

One moment during the short comes after all the characters have gathered in the lobby. Mickey is left alone with a picture of Walt Disney himself, and Mickey shares a somber interaction with the portrait. In the background, a sweet piano can be heard. According to The Walt Disney Company, the song being played is Disney’s favorite song: “Feed the Birds” from the movie “Mary Poppins.” The song is played by Robert Sherman, who used to play it while Disney was hard at work. The momentary interaction is enough to bring a tear to a watcher’s eye.

The grand finale of the short comes as the 500-plus characters gather in front of the studio to take the 100th Anniversary photo. However, in a moment of clumsiness, Goofy drops the camera. As all hope seems lost, Alan-a-Dale from “Robin Hood” begins strumming “When You Wish Upon a Star” on his guitar. The rest of the characters are quick to join in, and they work together to fix the camera. The picture is taken, and like any great Disney story, they lived happily ever after.

The whole sequence is filled with joy, nostalgia, sadness, and memories from movies past. The tears will for sure be flowing fast by the end of this film. Magic is felt throughout the film and is sure to tug on heartstrings, but it will also brighten any audience member’s day.

Hello! My name is Sophia Anness, and I am a freshman HTC Journalism major at Ohio University. I love dancing, reading, and watching movies. I am super exciting to be a part of HerCampus!