This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The first time I watched the film “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” I was entranced by the tunnel scene in the film. If you’re not familiar with the movie, there is a scene where the characters drive through a tunnel and stand up in the truck bed while the car is moving. During this scene, “Heroes” by David Bowie plays, creating the perfect scene to end a coming of age film. This scene had me thinking about the songs I would play if I were in the same tunnel displayed in the film. There are certain songs that you hear that just make you go “Wow. This makes me feel like I’m in a movie.” I have composed a list of songs that need to be in the next big coming of age film, or “tunnel songs.”

“Starting Line” by Luke Hemmings

When Luke Hemmings of “5 Seconds of Summer” released solo work, I was skeptical. I was completely wrong as his album “When Facing Things We Turn Away From” quickly became one of my favorite bodies of work. “Starting Line” is a stand out on the album for sure. It is one of those songs that feels like it should be in a montage at the end of the movie, making you daydream every time you listen.

“End of Beginning” by Djo

Joe Keery of popular Netflix show “Stranger Things” is not known for his music career, but it is something to pay attention to. This song in particular is one of my favorites. It makes me want to drive at full speed at midnight screaming the lyrics with my best friends.

“If Your Gonna Break My Heart” by Inhaler

I only recently discovered the Irish indie-rock band, Inhaler and they are everything you could ask for in a band. “If Your Gonna Break My Heart” swells in a heartbreakingly cinematic way that captivates the listener from the first note.

“Seventeen” by Troye Sivan

Every Troye Sivan song is nostalgic for me, as his debut album “Blue Neighborhood” was the soundtrack to my middle school years. “Seventeen” from his sophomore album sounds more like high school. Listening to it gives you the nostalgic feeling you crave, being the perfect song for a coming of age film.

“About You” by The 1975

Though this song only came out less than a year ago, it is a classic. One of the best love songs I have ever heard that is just hauntingly beautiful from start to finish. It definitely makes you feel as if you are living out the romance you have always dreamed of.

“Satellite” by Harry Styles

How could I not include Harry? Everything he does speaks to my soul, this song especially. “Satellite” starts off very slow, but eventually goes into a pop beat. Then, at the end it breaks into this stunning drum solo that gives this song a sort of drama that sets it apart from typical pop music. That drama is exactly why this song is tunnel worthy.

“California” by Lana Del Rey

Any song by Lana could be on this list, but I chose this one because of the way it completely captures my attention every time I hear it. It makes you feel like you’re driving down the coast on a sunny day with the wind in your hair and not a care in the world.

“Don’t Take the Money” by Bleachers

Is there anything Jack Antonoff can’t do? He is more known for his producer work with other artists, but his band “Bleachers” deserves more appreciation in my opinion. “Don’t Take the Money” is a song of pure happiness. It makes you want to jump up and down and dance like no one is watching.

“He Gets Me So High” by beabadoobee

I found this song in my Spotify recommendations and was immediately obsessed. This song feels like young love and makes you want to scream the lyrics at the top of your lungs. Beabadoobee is a great artist and everything we need in alternative music right now.

“Perfect Places” by Lorde

Lorde’s sophomore album “Melodrama” screams coming of age movie. This song in particular has the lyric “I’m nineteen and I’m on fire,” and I think that is an incredible way of putting it. Listening to this song makes you feel like you will be young forever, making it perfect for any sort of coming of age film.

Molly is currently a second year communications studies major at Ohio University. She has a passion discussing and analyzing all things pop culture, and Her Campus is the perfect outlet to do so. In her free time she likes to listen to live music, hang out with friends, and try different coffee shops.