Clever Twists on Pumpkin Decorating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Pumpkin carving has been an ongoing autumn tradition for nearly every family across the country. But realistically, how many times can you carve the same toothy grin in the side of a pumpkin before the tradition seems a bit mundane? This fall, I suggest taking your pumpkins to the next level with these adorable decorations:

Glitter Pumpkin

What You’ll Need:
-Pumpkin
-Glue
-Glitter

Creating this glittery pumpkin is extremely easy and can be completed in just a few simple steps. Although, it may leave behind a little mess. After selecting your desired pumpkin, cover the entire surface with glue. For this step, you can use a paintbrush to reduce the mess. Before the glue dries, sprinkle your desired amount of glitter, again covering the entire surface. Place newspaper underneath to catch the excess glitter and let dry.

Pumpkin Flower Vase

What You’ll Need:
-Pumpkin
-Fake Flowers
-White (or preferred color) Spray Paint

This beautiful pumpkin vase can be used as an elegant fall centerpiece or decoration. To begin, gut the pumpkin as though you were planning on carving it. After scooping out the insides and setting the seeds aside to bake, spray paint the outside of the pumpkin and let it sit to dry. Once the paint has completely dried, place the stems of the flowers into the hollowed out pumpkin and place it on display for all to see.

Masked Pumpkin

What You’ll Need:
-Pumpkin
-Black Felt
-Googly Eyes
-Black Paint

For this pumpkin you can choose to create a jack-o-lantern and then add the mask, or you can opt out of gutting and carving and simply use googly eyes and black paint like I did. To achieve this look, cut a mask shape out of the black felt; you can be as simple or creative as you like. With a hot glue gun, place the eyes on the pumpkin with the same distance between them as the eye holes in the mask; then, apply the mask over top. Using the black paint, draw a mouth to complete your pumpkin character.

Pumpkin Mummy

What You’ll Need:
-Pumpkin
-Self-Adhesive Medical Tape
-Googly Eyes
-Black Paint

Various online tutorials of this adorable pumpkin called for everything from cheesecloth and fabric stiffener to gauze and hot glue. But we found using a self-adhesive medical tape was both the easiest and cleanest way to complete this project. Wrap the entire pumpkin in multiple layers of medical tape, saving a little bit for one final wrapping at the end. With a hot glue gun, glue the eyes in place and paint a tiny mouth with the paint. After the paint has dried, wrap the pumpkin one last time, just barely covering the edges of the eyes and mouth to create the illusion that his eyes and mouth are peeking out from underneath the wrappings.