This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The town of Athens, Ohio seems as though it was constructed in a snow globe. During the holiday season, it really comes to life. There are small moments that happen in Athens take home in your heart. For me, my first Christmas at Ohio University is one of those moments.

We (my boyfriend and I) walked uptown to see the lights and attend the Christmas tree lighting. I was dressed in my red coat and white cable knit scarf, he was wearing sweats and a sweatshirt with a red baseball hat on. It was a warm winter so we didn’t have to bundle up. The streetlights were wrapped in red lights with wreaths on top and big red bows. Speakers sat atop the poles playing jingles of the holiday season. We made our way down to the end of Court Street to the army rotary for the Christmas tree lighting. Carolers lined the steps of the building singing the Christmas favorite, “We Wish You a Merry Christmas.” The tree was lit for all to adore.

The stores uptown decorate their windows, recreating Macy’s in New York City for our little town. Snowflakes, snowmen, candy canes and trees fill each display. The town is covered in Christmas lights that warm bobcats hearts with the holiday spirit.

The army rotary decorates its building for the holiday. Last year, it was decorated with big wreaths. This year, giant snowflakes illuminate the end of town accompanied by blue strings of lights forming a Christmas tree.

On Dec. 1 join the festivities as Athens County has the annual tree lighting ceremony. The celebration starts at 6 pm with horse drawn carriage rides around town. There will be carolers on Court Street for entertainment during the lighting.

The Athena will be showing “Elf” on Dec. 3 followed by “Muppets Christmas Carol,” “Scrooge” and “Miracle on 34th Street.” To view a full list of times and dates go to athensohio.com. For admission into the movies bring one canned food item. Of course, Christmas in Athens wouldn’t be complete without Santa Claus. He will be making a special appearance at 5 N. Court St. in the first floor lobby. Come visit Santa on Dec. 1,8 and 15 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

I spent last Christmas with my best friend, so grab yours and take them to the tree lighting. It may not by Rockefeller Plaza but it is a close second, especially spent with someone you love. It can be hard to be away from home during the holiday season, however this is your hOUme now. It is time to take part in the town’s activities.

(Photo courtesy of pinterest.com)

Katie McDonough is a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- Madison and is currently undecided about her major. She's a fitness junkie from downtown Chicago who spends much of her time reading blogs. She is a soon to be brother of the service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega and is studying to become an ACE personal trainer and/or group fitness instructor. Some of her favorite things include TurboKick, dancing, pizza, her golden retriever Buddy, reading blogs, and watching trashy tv with her roomie!
Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!