Billy Gardell: Visiting Comedic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Billy Gardell, a Pittsburgh native and stand-up comedian, visited Ohio University with one of his comedy specials, “Billy Gardell: Halftime,” at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Nov. 8. The Performing Arts Series welcomed the CBS Hit Mike & Molly star for a night of laughs as part of OU’s annual Dads Weekend.

Gardell’s show prompted laughs and inspiration. He tossed in some yet-to-learn life lessons to the students and let the dads laugh at their own pasts. Mem Aud was packed on the floor level as well as the balcony with viewers laughing and enjoying themselves during the entire comedy-packed show.

Gardell currently plays police officer Mike Biggs on Mike & Molly alongside actress Melissa McCarthy and has starred in television shows like Sullivan & Son, Desperate Housewives, Bones, and The King of Queens. He’s also performed in several films including Bad Santa, You, Me, and Dupree, and Avenging Angelo.

Gardell began his comedy career in 1987 when he was 18 years old after answering phones at a comedy club named Bonkerz. It was at Bonkerz where he participated in open-mic nights and eventually opened for comedics Dennis Miller and George Carlin. Gardell, however, claims to owe his fame to his grandmother who told him he could be a comedian at age 8.

At Gardell’s show, it was clear he’s a family man who deeply cares for his wife and son. He pulled some of his jokes, and lessons, from his own family bringing up his wife and son multiple times.

Don’t you love a family man?

For more Gardell, tune into Mike and Molly on CBS.

Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).