Active for Athens: 5 Can’t-Miss Service Projects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Now that spring quarter is here, it’s time for us collegiates to soak up some fun in the sun. For students in Athens, that means hours spent lounging outside or partying at the infamous fests. Though spring is the perfect season to partake in such activities, it’s also the best time to get involved in Athens. Volunteer work may not be your first thought of springtime fun, but there are plenty of service projects happening this quarter that will have you thinking twice.

Athens Beautification Day
When: Sunday, April 29, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
Where: Check-in at Scripps Amphitheater

For many Ohio University students, Athens is like a second home away from home, and no one wants to see their home overrun with trash and cigarette butts. Play a part in making Athens a better place to live by donating your time to Athens Beautification Day this spring. Throughout the day, groups of volunteers will help with projects around Athens, including planting flowers, mulching trees and picking up trash. You can even get groups as large as 15 together to work on the same project. Volunteers will also receive free T-shirts. For more details about the event, visit athensbday.eventbrite.com.

Good Earth Farm
When: Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Where: 10011 Armitage Road

For collegiates that love hands-on outdoor work, the Good Earth Farm is the place for you. The Good Earth Farm’s mission is to provide Athens’ local food pantries and soup kitchens with fresh and healthy produce. Volunteers play a huge part in that mission by helping out every Saturday with a variety of gardening activities, including weeding, planting, harvesting and mulching. For this project, be sure to wear old clothes and shoes and bring gloves if you can. A homemade meal is also served at noon, and volunteers are free to show up during any portion of the day. For more information about the Good Earth Farm, contact goodearthfarm@commonfriars.org.

Better Together Hocking River Cleanup
When: Saturday, April 28, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Where: Carpool will meet at United Campus Ministry on 18 N. College St.

Another great way to help beautify Athens is through the Hocking River Cleanup, sponsored partly by the United Campus Ministry and the Better Together Campaign. Following the campaign’s mission to bring students from diverse faiths together to better the world, a group of OU students will spend the morning on canoes, clearing trash and debris from the Hocking River. Some volunteers will also remove trash along the ravine. After the cleanup, volunteers will meet up to reflect and eat pizza. Just remember to bring a change of clothes and wear old tennis shoes because the work can get dirty. To sign up, email Rachel Hyden at rh148407@ohio.edu.

Relay for Life
When:
Starts at 5 p.m. on Friday, May 11, and goes until 11 a.m. on Saturday, May 12
Where: Pruitt Field on West Green

Cancer has become so pervasive that most collegiates are likely to have a family member or friend affected by the disease. According to recent figures from the American Cancer Society, more than one million new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in 2012. To fight back against cancer, create a team and join OU’s Relay for Life. At Relay, groups of students camp out from evening until morning, walking around a track in support of cancer victims and finding a cure. To keep participants going, there will be nonstop entertainment, including live bands, games, prizes and themed laps. Even better, all money that teams raise through sponsorships or fundraising will go toward funding new cancer research and programs. It’s not too late to sign up your team at OU’s Relay for Life website.

Race for a Reason
When: Saturday, April 28
Where: All over Ohio University
Avid runners and marathoners can also use their athletic talents for good this spring at Race for a Reason. The event is the largest charity-based race that takes place in Athens. Runners choose from one of three unique races to participate in – a 5K run, mud run or triathlon. Next, you select your own special cause to raise money for and begin fundraising through pledges and donations. This year, event coordinators hope to see more than 500 participants combined in all events and $50,000 raised for local charities. So what are you waiting for? Start lacing up your running shoes! Each race has its own location and start time, so be sure to check out all the details at the Race for a Reason website.

Photos courtesy of 
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.327788627276649.89218.323444614…
http://commonfriars.wordpress.com/good-earth-farm/volunteer/
Google

Originally from Pittsburgh, Rachel is a senior at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism of Ohio University (Go Bobcats!). In addition to being a content editor and staff writer for OU's branch of Her Campus, she's also the managing editor of Southeast Ohio, a student-run magazine produced by the journalism school. In her spare time, she does volunteer work as a member of OU's Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. In the past, she has interned at Pittsburgh's premier lifestyle magazine Whirl, and this past summer, she was an editorial intern at Woman's Day magazine in New York City. Rachel's favorite things include shopping, reading celebrity gossip, and curling up with a really good book. After graduation, she plans to move to NYC and work with women's magazines.