timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues in Athens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The groundhog may not have seen his shadow, but we’re still feeling the low temps here in Athens. Whether it’s embracing the snowy mess outside or taking a day to relax, there are always things we can do to beat the winter blues. But what about when you’re living in the small college town of Athens, Ohio? No worries collegiettes, I’ve gathered a few bobcat ways to help you glow on the inside and out.

1. Hike Bong Hill, Radar Hill or Stroud’s Run.

Photo by Abby Gryzik

When we’re stressed, we tend to feel like we have no time for ourselves. But a breath of fresh air in nature will leave you feeling calm, accomplished and reenergized! If you make time for a hike outside, your mind will begin to feel refreshed and productive. And what bobcat doesn’t love a view like this?

2. Take a fitness class at Ping.

Photo by Ohio University

There’s nothing like a Zumba or kickboxing class to get your body moving and energy flowing. This is also a great way to stay in touch with friends since you can make plans to go together. Staying active will lower your stress and increase your productivity by keeping your blood flowing and energy levels up.

3. Go on a walk through College Green.

Photo by Abby Gryzik

There’s something about Athens in the winter. In snow or sunshine, college green is always a beaut. Take a walk or stop to admire the gorgeous scenery! You won’t be in Athens forever, and a little mental break from the constant hustle and bustle of college work never hurt anyone. (It actually helps!)

4. Enjoy a relaxing yoga session.

Photo by besteventsus.com

A class at Inhale Yoga Studio or Ping will let you breathe for a bit, focusing entirely on yourself. And if you don’t have a yoga mat, Ping can provide you one. This will help you center your energy, rejuvenate your senses, and stir up motivation for you to overcome any obstacle in your life!

5. Say yes to karaoke or open-mic night.

GIF by Giphy.com

Sometimes a night out with your friends is all you need! Sing your heart out in karaoke, listen to some live music, or attend an event on Court street. Whatever you choose, enjoy yourself and release any unnecessary stress.

6. Join one of OU’s intramural leagues.

Photo by Abby Gryzik

Bonding with others can lift us up when we’re feeling stuck. Make an indoors basketball or volleyball intramural team with friends or coworkers through one of OU’s intramural leagues. Your week nights will not only be filled with good exercise, but some fun too!

7. Take a road trip.

Photo by Abby Gryzik

Grab a few close friends and hit the road for the weekend. Whether you’re traveling to a new city or heading home for a few days, allow your mind to escape the Athens bubble for a bit. Venture through Hocking Hills, take a trip to the Fun Barn, or head to downtown Columbus for the day. Don’t have a car? The GoBus can take you to Columbus, Cincinnati, and more. A change of routine is good for the soul!

8. Get involved and try something new.

Photo by Ohio University

As much as you feel like you want to sleep all day and night, trying new activities and joining groups on campus can do the trick. Not only do they help you make steps toward your career goals, but you’ll be able to socialize with others and meet other bobcats. Who knows, you could fall in love with something you never quite imagined.

Abby is a senior studying strategic communication & Spanish at OU. She creatively blogs, writes and tweets for HCOU! Check her out on Insta: @abbygryzik
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano