This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

A large part of my identity is being a feminist. It has shaped who I am and how I view the world in many ways. And while I hold a lot of pride in being a feminist woman, there is a lot that I still need to learn in order to empower myself and other marginalized groups around me to reach equality.

So, one of the simplest and most accessible ways to educate oneself nowadays is through watching documentaries through streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. Here is a list of just a few phenomenal documentaries that highlight the feminist experience.

Feminists: What Were They Thinking?

This documentary is centered around the book from photographer Cynthia MacAdams which consisted of portraits of various women in the 1970s embracing their feminism. The documentary showcases the old portraits and interviews the women in them, many being well-known celebrities and activists, and they discuss their differing journeys that lead them to feminist ideologies and philanthropy, while also discussing the current issues women are still facing to this day.

Knock Down the House

This 2018 documentary focuses on four women, one of which being the iconic AOC, and their campaigns during their run for Congress. Each of the women come from different backgrounds, but showcase how women are gaining power in the political front–and how that can still be a controversial topic.

Mercury 13

This historical documentary focuses on the 13 women who were successfully tested to be part of the 1961 spaceflight. This film focuses on the stories that were placed in the shadows of history, and shares the story of determined women who were far more qualified than anyone ever knew.

Hot Girls Wanted

This documentary follows the experiences of 18-25 year old women who are in the amateur porn industry. This film navigates the issues that these women face, and offers a jarring look into the industry and the way that these women are perceived. It also calls into the question the ideals of empowerment within feminism and the judgement that women place onto one another.

Miss Representation

I watched this documentary in my Introduction to Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies course and I absolutely adored it. It is a profound documentary surrounding the objectified and oversexualized portrayal of women in the media, told by everyday women as well as female pioneers and activists. 

Period. End of Sentence.

This 2018 film, which won an Academy Award for Best Documentary (short subject), follows a group of young women in India who manufacture affordable biodegradable feminine products to sell to other women. The film aims to shatter the stigma surrounding menstruation and calls for the accessibility of basic health products.

Aside from these six, there are a multitude of films on Netflix and Hulu that harbor the feminist story, even if that isn’t the main focus. Each of these stories is important to understanding the experiences of oppressed groups and helping them to stand on the same playing field.

Lauren Serge

Ohio U '23

Lauren Serge is currently a senior at Ohio University, majoring in Journalism and specializing in Marketing and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. She is the current President and Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus OU chapter. She enjoys writing, walking, spending time with her family, friends, and her dog, as well as catching up on her many favorite tv shows.
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!