This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Since Summer 2020 ended up being a total bust, I’m sure everyone wants to make the most of summer 2021! Thanks to the mass vaccine roll-out, there are more options as to what we can do this summer, but, of course, we still need to stay safe. Here are some ideas on how to get out and enjoy some rays with your friends and loved ones!

Have a Picnic

A simple and inexpensive idea is to host an outdoor picnic! Gather up some friends and a blanket, and head to your local park or favorite outdoor venue. You can bring takeout from your favorite local restaurant, or each guest can help create a picnic basket of favorite foods. This activity is great for keeping safe and enjoying the sun’s summer rays!

Visit a local museum

Museums may have made for a boring elementary school field trip, but you may find that you like this activity a bit more as a young adult. Ohio is home to some iconic museums, like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Pro Football Hall of Fame, and many of its metropolitan cities have incredible art and science museums. This is another great activity to do with friends and could make for a nice day trip. 

Enjoy a day at the beach

If you’re lucky enough to live near a beach, then take a day to relax on the sand and dip your toes into the water. Make sure to bring along plenty of sunscreen, beach games, and towels!

Go for a walk/hike

Many areas in Ohio have invested in creating local trails for its community members to walk and explore. Take advantage of it! Grab some friends, hop on a bike, or take a solo walk through these paths and get some fresh air! It’s so much better than being inside all day!

Host a bonfire!

If you’ve got the materials and space, invite your friends to gather around the campfire. You and your friends can gather for some late-night fun, like making s’mores and sharing stories with one another. It’s a classic, fun summer activity that is also safe. 

This past year has been rough, but there is some hope! Still, we all need to remain safe. Hopefully, these are all ideas that you can adapt to our new normal and continue to make memories with your friends. 

Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!