This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

two women speaking to each other
Photo by Christina Morillo from Pexels

In a world full of gender bias, it’s important for women to feel supported and confident in themselves and their capabilities. Here are five ways you can empower the women around you to be unapologetically themselves in the hopes of moving towards a better future for women everywhere. 

Embrace Individuality 

Every woman is different in her own way! Whether it be in terms of race, religion, sexuality, size, or even capability, all women are created differently. Supporting just one kind of woman defeats the whole purpose of supporting women. When you support the women around you, try to actively support all types of women, embracing their unique differences. Embracing what makes each one of us different can empower and encourage women to love themselves and have confidence in their capabilities.

Canva

Build Eachother Up

Let’s be honest. We’ve all encountered women in our lives that like to tear other women down to feel better about themselves. Whether it be about someone’s body, style, or even features, women can be cruel and ruthless. Instead of judging each other, we should focus on building each other up. When we make negative comments about someone’s body, we are only fueling society’s expectations of the “ideal” body type instead of recognizing all bodies are beautiful. We should focus on hyping one another up and normalize complimenting each other. One compliment and a little positivity can go a long way.  

Don’t Lash Out 

This is one of the most common things I’ve seen amongst women, and it’s honestly one of the most upsetting. Imagine you just found out your significant other was cheating on you with another girl. Who is in the wrong? If you’re thinking the other girl, think again. It takes two to tango, and oftentimes many women forget that. Instead of labeling the other girl as a “whore” or “homewrecker,” try to view things from her perspective. Even though she may not be totally innocent, lashing out at her can not only make things worse but further the use of these derogatory terms. 

Stop Competing 

Competition amongst women happens ALL THE TIME, and it’s incredibly frustrating! Whether it be with work, fashion, or even education, realize that competing with others not only wastes precious time but also can often result in burnout. Actively working and collaborating with other women can promote a positive and healthy alliance among women everywhere.

Unsplash

Be Open 

Many of the historical women that have paved the way for all of us wouldn’t have succeeded in doing so without actively speaking out about the struggles they endured. Being open and honest with one another about your feelings and experiences can give other women the platform to relate and do the same. Being open often gives allows other women to realize they aren’t alone with the obstacles they’re facing. The ideas of sexism and gender stereotypes were partly created because women openly talked about their experiences and acknowledged these are not healthy encounters. Starting conversations among your female friends about issues they’re facing can empower them to feel understood and capable to actively change these issues. 

Emily Squance is a sophomore at Ohio University studying communications in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. She is an active member of Variant Magazine and Active Minds. She likes to spend her time outside hiking with friends and listening to a broad range of music. Her words to live by are "treat people with kindness and compassion." : )
Ohio University Contributor Account