This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Growing up, I consistently learned that Thanksgiving was about being thankful. Through elementary school, we were promted with the same question every November, “What are you thankful for?”.The obvious answers were my family, my dog, my teachers. As I get older and realize my privileges, I understand there are a lot of things to be thankful for. As we reflect on the dark side of 2020 and as 2021 comes to a close, I have compiled a list of 5 things we can all be thankful for, no matter what holidays you are celebrating this season.

Internet

If you are reading this, chances are you have internet access. In the age of Covid-19, internet access has allowed us to stay connected with family. It gives us the opportunity to obtain timely information that can improve our quality of life. As a member of Gen Z, I know for a fact that I take advantage of the internet. Every time I check Instagram or TikTok, I fail to consider the impact the internet has on my daily life.

Traditions

Traditions are a part of everyone’s lives: whether they are family traditions or even traditions exhibited by schools or different communities, these specific actions bring people together and consistently provide a sense of hope. Even in the darkest of times, traditions are something to look forward to.

opportunity to grow

Life is full of ups and downs. Given the natural ability to grow from mistakes and past lessons, we as people can create new memories for those around us and improve our own character. This opportunity gives us all the chance to make the world a better place.

education

With much of the world still struggling to finance education and services to promote literacy, being able to read, write and have access to a proper education is something to be thankful for. Education improves quality of life and is something that is often taken for granted.

life-shaping events and people

Good or bad, there are specific people and events that make you the person you are today. While it may be hard to reflect on all of these people and situations: one thing is for sure, we should all be thankful for the people that we are and the ways we can make unique contributions to the world.

Reflecting on what you are thankful for is incredibly important. At the end of the day, it does not matter what holiday you celebrate or where you end up celebrating, the most important part is to ensure you appreciate these things, no matter how minuscule they may seem.

Abby is a junior at Ohio University. She is studying Journalism News and Information. In her free time, Abby enjoys painting, reading, writing, and thrifting!