5 Of The Best Plants for Your Dorm Room!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

We all know that having plants in the dorm room can be a struggle. Keeping up on watering, having enough light for them, or not having enough space is a huge problem. My biggest dilemma was choosing what plants to keep in my dorm! However, there are some plants that need virtually no light and can survive if you forget about them for a couple days or let’s be real…a couple of weeks.

1. Snake Plant

Snake plants are some of the most durable plants you can come across. These tough cookies can go months without watering and spurt out new growth, and they are a lowlight plant! You don’t have to use your precious window space for this one!

2. Spider Plant

Spider Plants are fast growers and don’t need tons of light or water. Basically, the less light you give it, the less water you give it. If the leaves start to fold into each other, that means it needs to be watered.

3. Pothos

The Photo Above is by Me! Maddie Walker!

Pothos’ are trailing plants. You basically can wrap these plants around your window to give it a more earthy vibe or even hang it up with command hooks. A pothos is also very easy to propagate so if you want more plants later on this is perfect. They rarely need water and can live in any light situation. If the leaves start to curl, water it!

4. Rubber Tree

Rubber tree plants are pretty easy to take care of. They will grow up instead of out which is perfect for saving space in your dorm room and they look really pretty! There are a few kinds of rubber trees, so you can choose which one you like the best!

5. Jades

There are so many different kinds of jades but one thing is in common with all of them, they all are pretty low maintenance. Now I do recommend putting your jade plants by a window, but they can survive in a darker area. Some jades are slow growers and some grow tall pretty fast. You just have to pick what’s right for you! If the leaves look like how your fingers look when you get out of a long bath (pruned) that means it needs water!

All in all, houseplants are a great way to purify the air in your room, relax you, and they look very nice. When it comes to the dorm life, dorms can look very drab and grey without some color. Plants can help bring life to your dorm. Space is a constant issue, but with these plants, you should be good with them!

Hi! I am Maddie and I am from Kent. I love crystals, plants, music, and I am really into chakra cleansing. I hike and do yoga during my free time! My major is music education and my dream job is to be an elementary music teacher. I am in a treble ensemble called Bella Voce, a music fraternity called Sigma Alpha Iota, and Nafme!