This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s never too late to decorate your dorm, apartment, or house for Halloween. If you’re into living in a spooky place, here are a few tips to get you ready fast for the Halloween when you waited for the last minute.

Go for big-ticket items

When you’re decorating last minute, go for big-ticket items like cobwebs, caution tape, and tapestries. These large items will cover a lot of your space and will look like you put in a huge effort decorating while taking just a little bit of your time.

Think reusable

To prevent a last-minute decorating mishap next year, think about getting decorations that can be used year after year. This will save you money and is better for the environment rather than throwing away your decor each year.

Be real about fake pumpkins

Pumpkins are the fastest way to decorate a space for Halloween. While you might love a real pumpkin, it might not be the best idea. If you live in a small dorm, having a real pumpkin rot in your room will definitely make your roommate and neighbors angry. And if you live in an apartment or house, it’s likely that a drunk college student might steal or smash your pumpkin. The best route to take in these cases is fake pumpkins. These can be found at your local craft store or dollar store. You can even paint or buy decorated pumpkins this way.

Think about your space

Think about everything you need to decorate before buying supplies. If you have a small dorm or a large house to decorate, that will determine how much you need to get so you don’t spend too much money on the decor you can’t use.

Don’t forget about Thanksgiving

If you’re going to be decorating last-minute, think about the next holiday: Thanksgiving. Since you’ll already be decorating for Halloween, think about getting decor with leaves or pumpkins that you can leave out so you can easily transition from one holiday to another.

A senior at Ohio University, Hannah Moskowitz is majoring in the news and information journalism track at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. During her time there, she is president, campus correspondent and writes for Her Campus. In her free time, she writes for her personal blog: www.hannahmeetsworld.com. When she's not writing, she loves to paint, hammock with friends and take care of her plants.