4 Fast Lunches When You Just Cannot!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

We’re in the fourth week of the semester and most of us are already stressed. Is it because we are still in the summer – sit beside a beach or watch Netflix all day – mood? Or is it because we have all the deadlines, on the same day! Regardless of why you’re under the weather, now is about the time when most students ignore food and just live on energy drinks. Just because we have homework to finish and classes to attend doesn’t mean we should not take care of ourselves. While making time for anything elaborate is impossible, making yourself a delicious, quick and healthy lunch for a school day can only take 5 minutes.

Here are some yummy meals (featuring my plant babies) that you can make in the morning just before you rush out for class:

1. A fruit smoothie

Smoothies are cheap, easy enough for amateur cooks (me) and can be tasty and nutritious based on what you add. Feeling lazy? Just add a banana, the cheapest fruit ever with some milk and any other fruit you have in your kitchen. We went with peaches. Feel free to dump some spinach or kale in there, it won’t change the taste significantly but give you added nourishment. Then just blend it and voila, now you don’t have to buy greasy fast food!

2. A bowl of oatmeal

Feeling extra lazy? Make your lunch the night before. Pour one cup of oats in a mason jar and add some milk, or you can also add some yogurt in there for a sour punch. Keep it in your fridge overnight. In the morning just chop up some fruit and add it to your bowl of oatmeal. Drizzle on some honey if you have a sweet tooth! Mix it whenever you’re going to eat and throw in some crushed pieces of your favorite candy if you want to treat yourself.

3. A light sandwich

Sometimes sandwiches can get too loaded. With all that cheese and dressing, eating a heavy meal like that in the middle of the day isn’t doing you any favors. Swap the calorie-heavy items in your sandwich to make something that will keep you energized. Try using a whole-wheat bread and spread some peanut butter, then lay on some chunks of bananas. Have an exam coming up? Motivate yourself to study by making a sandwich with Nutella and strawberries.

4. A healthy parfait

Yogurt is great if you are trying to eat something healthy or if you just want to eat something that will give you some fuel. Pour a cup of yogurt in a bowl or a tall glass, add chopped pieces of your favorite fruit and drizzle on some honey. Add some granola or nuts for crunch and there you have it, the perfect study buddy. ​

All photos by Purva Indulkar

Purva was born and brought up in Mumbai, India and is now a graduate journalism student at Ohio University. She is interested in women's magazines and issues of diversity in the media.