3 New Braids to Try this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Duo Fishtail Bun

The Cascade Braid

Braid It Around Town

Duo Fishtail Bun

At front of crown, section off hair at desired part. For this example, I started down the middle of the eyebrow. Deeper parts tend to work (and look) better for this hairstyle

Start fishtail braiding the front section of the crown from step one. Separate 2 half inch strands of hair. Take a small strand from the left section, crossing it over to the right section. Now repeat starting on the right. Continue this crossing over process, grabbing new strands from the hair at each side of the crown every time.

Continue step two, continuing down and around the near base of the head. Secure with elastic when you reach the nape of the neck. 

Repeat the previous three steps with the remaining hair on the other side where you parted the hair in step one. Afterwards, bring together the two braids and secure. Twist half down hair into a bun and secure with bobby pins or elastic.

Braid It Around Town

To begin, section off hair at the top part of the crown. Use a fine tooth comb to tease this part of the hair from the roots. Apply a few shots of hairspray to roots. This will add pretty volume to complete your look.

Next, gather all hair from the top half of the head. Twist it into a small bun. 

Secure with bobby pins or elastic. You can add more hairspray to tame frizzy flyaways.

Start to form a small french braid under the base of the mini-bun. If this is too advanced, you can do a simple non-french braid.

Continue braiding without adding any hair, straight out to the right. (You can switch directions and go left instead). 

Then, you are going to wrap the braid around your mini-bun, ‘flat side’ against your head so people can see it. Secure ends in place when done. 

The Cascade Braid

To start, create deep side part at the front of crown.

Begin to french braid this parted section, grabbing new strands of hair from each side along the way. Continue french braiding approximately to the top of the ear. 

Once you reach the top of the ear, start dropping one of the three sections of hair you are using and pick up a new strand to replace it, continuing to braid. Do this each time and you will start to see the waterfall effect.

The braid should go around the back of the head positioned by the other ear. Secure with a few bobby pins or small elastic. 

Sophomore studying magazine/news writing at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism; also working on a minor in French. Scripps J-School Ambassador Her Campus Ohio U copy editor Backdrop Magazine writer Interned at West Life/The Press newspapers in Cleveland (Summer 2014) www.emjmac.wordpress.com
Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.